what monitor for gaming? pls help

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hey guys, I want to get this build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvtfK8

The only thing missing is the monitor,
the thing is that I will upgrade to a second Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB when I need it but not in the near future.

I also plan to use more than one monitor in the future.

hope you can help me ^^

Solution

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

thx for the fast reply

I will mostly play RPG and Strategy Games with the occasional shooter.

I picked this 970 because of the available space and good air flow when i put a second card in there, and I'm not sure if it is worth more money. Am I wrong?

sry noob here what is a "blower" card?

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

i think so too, but right now and for the next let's say 3-5 years the gtx 970 should be enough and after this time I only need to get a another grapfic card. and ram maybe to be able to play everthing I want.

that's my thought progress so far, or did i miss anything ? I mean I'm pretty noobish on gaming pc building so I coudl be wrong ^^

I too agree with a single best gpu for a system. I'd get a better version of the 970 but to each their own. If you wanted to upgrade, sell the 970 and get whatever you want. Ok, enough. Just trying to help...

Buy some Corsair SP (not AF) fans for the H100i. The H100i fans are loud as hell. Otherwise, pull the trigger and have fun :)

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

good idea with the selling, thx ^^

i will get these http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050006ww as fan replacements, I didn't think about the noise yet, but now i do ;)

should I install the fans from the H100i in the case? should lower the rpm for each individual fan and make it quieter or am I missing something?

Do you have any suggestions for a monitor? I mean in reference to my build.

Good call in swapping out the Corsair fans. Also, I like that you chose the 1450rpm version. When fans are faster than that they get noisy. 1450rpm is my cut off.

If you want to reuse the Corsair fans, not bad idea, you'll have to plug them into the mobo so you can control the fan speeds in the BIOS or other software. But yeah, definitely set the fan speed to make them quieter. I'd guess 1200rpm or so. Personally, I hate noisy fans and I don't want to hear my computer.

As for monitor..tough to say. Depends how you will use it. If you play fps games then you'll want a fast panel, probably a TN panel as IPS can get expensive. But I really suggest getting a 1440p one. What's your budget? And what games is this monitor for?

Edo4Life

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I would strongly suggest you get an IPS Monitor. IPS monitors have better color representations and are easy on the eyes. Only downside is that they are limited to 60Hz refresh rate, but since you will be playing strategy games you don't need 144Hz refresh rates.

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

I will mostly play RPGs and Strategy Games but I like FPS too, just couldn't play them on my current pc, so i'm not rly up to date on these games.
I'm having my eye on Unreal engine games (like Ark survival evoled) and games to come on this engine. waiting epecially for CoE (https://chroniclesofelyria.com/) ;)

my budget for the monitor is about 200 - 350 €

For RPG and Strategy games you should get a IPS panel. They will be fast enough. Also, get 1440p. Here is an example of one in the US:
Monitor: Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ B&H)

I don't live in US but you should be able to score a good deal on a 1440p IPS.

Solution

Puss in Boots

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

The display looks rly nice. but I just searched around and came up with a question about g-sync, should i go for it with my GPU? is it worth it?

I really don't know what to say about G-Sync, but I never see issues in my display since getting a G-Sync monitor. It's always smooth as hell. Is it worth it? For RPG and strategy games I would say No. For fps games, yes. For you I'd look into non G-Sync cuz it adds a big premium.

I would suggest that 1440, while awesome....is gonna push a gpu upgrade sooner. I'm on a nice Acer 1440 IPS with a heavily overclocked 970 and I see drops below 60 regularly. FWIW I play FF XIV and The Witcher mostly, The Witcher is of course gonna slaughter my system but FF surprised me with how much GPU it wants post 3.0.

(edit) wrong quote but comment stands lol