upgrading 5 year old PC

IlzBet

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hi all,
I'd like to upgrade my PC, i had it custom built a few years ago and i think its time for an upgrade because i've been having trouble playing alot of the new games being released recently.
i don't know much about this kind of thing so i appreciate any and all advice.

My current specs are :
System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model G41M-Combo
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 931 GB
Disk partition (C:) 108 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Total available graphics memory 1791 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1279 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.4052
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

i believe my power supply is 750w? not 100% sure though, if anybody can give me some recommendations i'd greatly appreciate it.

get a new PC? There's almost no meaningful information in the specs that you copied from some other utility or something. It doesn't mention your processor your power supply, your graphics card...

The bits and pieces that are listed are old and obsolete.

IlzBet

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

intel core 2 quad cpu Q6600 2.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
750w power supply
?
why should i buy a whole new pc when i can just replace the parts on this one?

Ambular

Respectable
Mar 25, 2016
Second the motion that a new PC would be your best bet. For the kind of money it would cost to upgrade your old one to anything remotely decent, you might just as well save up a little more and get the whole enchilada.

What you've got now is 2007/2008 technology; even the much-maligned Broadwell i5-5675C with its integrated Iris Pro graphics and no discrete graphics card would be a HUGE step up, but in order to get that in your old rig, you'd have to replace the motherboard and memory, too. The cost adds up fast.

If you decide to stick with Old Faithful anyway, expect to pay upward of $500 (maybe quite a bit more) to get it into decent shape for current games, as the only things you're likely to be able to re-use are the case, the optical drive, and maybe the PSU. Maybe. Wattage is not the only thing that matters. You could run into other compatibility issues, so if you do re-use it, do yourself a favor: find the unit's model number and check its specifications very, very carefully against anything else you consider buying before you buy it. (Which, actually, is a good idea even with a brand-new PSU.)

Also, whatever else you do, you really need to move up to a 64-bit OS.