[SOLVED] I can't delete items in OS X (external startup drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I have connected the system flash storage (SSD) on a macbook using target disk mode to another mac, because it can't be booted up (I suspect because it's almost full, only 1.2 GB free on a 500GB storage). Most data is movies on the iTunes folder. When I try to remove any of these movies or any folder in the iTunes folder, I get a message "can't be moved to trash because it can't be deleted". Why is this?
I set permissions to ignore permissions for the attached drive. Filevault is enabled, can this be the problem?: I've unlocked the volume by entering the password.
Also: when I try to disable filevault from disk utility (File > turn off encryption), it takes really long and I can't know if it's actually turning off encryption, I can't see any message that it's desencrypting.

McHenryB

Admirable
Yes. Changing to the appropriate directory (somewhere under /Volumes) is probably the easiest option. Be very careful when using this command, particularly with wildcards - there's a current story about a guy who deleted all his company's data by getting the syntax wrong.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks, I'll let you know when I can test it

Status
Not open for further replies.