Windows 10 won't let me do a full reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
My computer is all screwy and want to do a full reset (delete all files). I want to delete all files and drivers and start clean.

Unfortunately, it won't let me and it says "Windows has a problem resetting your computer: no changes has been made".

Anyone now how to fix this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
That's easy, just download the Media Creation Tool here:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Make the USB media install medium and boot from it and install Windows.

You might want to download your drivers beforehand. Though if your system is older you might get lucky and Windows 10 will have your network drivers (wifi or ethernet), though to be sure, I would at least consider downloading them.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

so you want a clean install then? nothing kept?

windows had the fresh/reset options which u say the latter doesn't work for you anymore.

if there isn't anything at all you need or want, or you have stuff backed up pop in a windows 10 install dvd/usb and reinstall windows

So you went full OCD and got an i7. Well way to overkill it. And you went AsRock, booo.

That's easy, just download the Media Creation Tool here:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Make the USB media install medium and boot from it and install Windows.

You might want to download your drivers beforehand. Though if your system is older you might get lucky and Windows 10 will have your network drivers (wifi or ethernet), though to be sure, I would at least consider downloading them.

Solution

He shouldn't need the key, he's already activated the upgrade. Therefore MicroSoft's activation servers have already logged his motherboard and old product key and given him a digital entitlement for Windows 10. When asked for a product key, all you have to do is click skip. Actually you will likely be asked twice at different times, just click skip each time you're asked. Once Windows has an internet connection it will automagically activate.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

lol

Kory_2

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

HERE IS THE BEST WAY TO RESTART OS TO FACTORY,

IF IT WAS WINDOWS XP OR 7 AND PUT WINDOWS 10 ON IT, IT WILL STAY WINDOWS 10 AND I THINK OTHER OSÈS ARE DELETED ALSO!! BUT WORKED FOR ME WHENN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

RIGHT CLICK THE WINDOWS BUTTTON ON DESKTOP
HOVER CURSOR OVER SHUTDOWN OR SIGN OUT!

THEN THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!

HOLD! SHIFT AND CLICK RESTART, MAY NEED TO HOLD SHIFT AFTER CLICKING,
COMPUTER WILL EITHER RESTART AND ASK WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, OR WILL ASK BEFORE RESTART DEPENDING ON COMPUTER MAKER,,

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY IF WRONG OPTION IS PICKED YOU WILL WIPE THE ENTIRE COMPUTER AND IT WILL BE GARBAGE.

Kory_2

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

It'sthere man.. trust me I used it to fix my computer and for a buddy to restore so he could take it back to the store

1. HOLD shift press restart.

2. You will be taken to a screen that has three options.
I.CONTINUE =Exit and continue to windows.
II. TROUBLESHOOT= Reset your PC or see advanced options.
III. TURN OFF YOUR PC.

3. CHOOSE option two. Too TROUBLESHOOT.

4.Two more options will be displayed.
I. REST THIS PC=Lets you choose to keep or remove your files,then re-installs Windows.
II. ADVANCED OPTIONS

5. CHOOSE. REST THIS PC. and personally if I was reinstall Windows id remove all my files and re-install Windows.

6. Depending if you wanna keep your files or remove them. Pick your next option accordingly and let WINDOWS DO ITS THING.

This method completely RE-INSTALLS WINDOWS!!

Was this computer that you used this method on an OEM computer (HP, Dell, etc). Often these methods are in put place by OEM"s as a recovery option. I don't think this will work on a home built PC. I've used a similar procedure on a couple of laptops (no OEM desktops though), but this is an OEM recovery method.

Status
Not open for further replies.