2gb ram vs 8gb ram or more

Stefan_20

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
So, i built a budget rig ( 600w psu, r9 270, 1tb, fx8320e) and i was short 40euros for a 8 gigs of ram. For a month i used 2gigs of my older ram. I could not find a thread comparing 2 and 8 gigs of ram so im typing this for guys like me. Games were playable at low, but not at medium or higher ( i spent 10 days downloading patches for fallout 4 because fps drop in cities was unplayable), god forbid minimising while playing, minutes would pass before comp unfroze. I started thinking my graphic and cpu were at false, wanted to return them, Then my paycheck came, i bought 8 gigs hyper x and man...i was stunned. It was like i bought a 1500 euro rig. Everythings maxed out with 30+, mostly 40+ fps at 1080p. No issue with Fallout whatsoever. So guys. Buy 8 or more gigs if you want to do a lot of gaming. DO NOT USE LESS. Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
4gb was the default ram for a long time, my last pc that was made 10 years ago had 4gb when i got it... also had 32bit windows so more would have been a waste. 8gb is close to default now for gaming pc but games will use more if you have it. I have 16gb, most I have used at one time was 10gb. Most of the time I have 13gb or something free, but I don't plan on upgrading for a few years so it might get used eventually.

More than 16gb is a waste unless you make videos or create images.