Dual monitor problem with resolution!

Nachodsk

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Well I've always surfed this forum in seek of help when I had a problem (wasn't a register user by that time) and it always helped me in any way either to solve my problem or to keep my in the way for a solution, now is my turn I guess to ask the problem here because I don't really know what to do!

Here is the thing, yesterday I set-up two same LG monitors (both 1080p) they're new, same thing for my computer (well it has a few months now..) the problem is the PRIMARY display is connected to the DVI-VGA port of the back of the CPU directly into the graphics card (R7 360 2GB GDDR5) and the other display is connected on the DisplayPort (with a VGA-DisplayPort adapter) both works perfectly fine EXCEPT for one little thing

One display (the one connected to DVI-VGA is @ 1920x1080p 60hz) the other display (the one connected to the DisplayPort is @ 1024x768 75hz) and when I try to select a higher resolution for the secondary display for example 1280x720 or even the recommended one (1920x1080p) it goes black and says Power Save mode and the red power light flickers on and off, if I get back the resolution to 1024x768 it works fine..

Hope I explained myself correct!

Thanks!

Solution
So, the W2243s's aren't exactly new. Since they only have VGA inputs, the different adapters are not as likely to help.
What happens if you swap which monitor is connected to which cable? I think your best bet is to play around with different cable options. Try unplugging one and plugging in the other. Maybe try turning on the computer before connecting the screens and then switching. Sometimes little changes can get things working.

Nachodsk

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
I'm sure it's not a problem with the cables or adapters as they are all new and used to work perfect, how can I change the VGA-Displayport thing? I only have the displayport slot and another HDMI one which will require a new monitor :S or maybe it will require a DVI-HDMI adapter for it??

You can use an HDMI to DVI adapter or a DP to DVI adapter.
Just because cables and adapters work separately does not mean they will necessarily work together. Likewise, just because they work with a particular screen and GPU doesn't mean they will work with different ones. This is especially true when you connect using VGA: your computer takes a digital image, converts it to analog, sends it over a cable-the adapter could do either its own conversion or nothing depending on the type. You monitor will then need to convert the analog image back to digital so that it can display it on a digital LCD. Communication problems between the GPU and monitor can crop up in any one of those steps. Moving to a digital interface (DVI) will result in a digital signal being sent to a digital screen-no conversion required (usually), even when using adapters.

I think the solution is to connect your monitors without using any VGA cables or VGA adapters. I would need to do some testing to know for sure what your actual problem is, but VGA connector weirdness is a very likely source for your sort of problem.

Nachodsk

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
But by any means I'm gonna need a VGA cable in the process even if I use an hdmi-dvi adapter the VGA cable must be there to connect to the DVI part and the hdmi would go to the back part of the graphics card in the hdmi slot

Thanks for your answers too! i'm gonna test it in a few days!

Perhaps you mean something different by "VGA" or your situation is different than I understand.
My advice depends on you using NO VGA. You have yet to say what monitors you are using. I'm assuming that they have either a DVI or HDMI input-it's hard to imagine a new 1080p screen not having a digital input.

This is VGA:
http://cdn.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/vga-cable.jpg?2047b0
vga-cable.jpg

You must not use it if you want my advice to have any effect.

Nachodsk

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Both my monitors are W2243s LG :)

Yes that's exactly the VGA I have to put on the back of the monitor and then plug it into the adapter to transform it to DisplayPort, maybe a DVI-HDMI adapter will work better? I don't know, it could work!

Edit: Just don't try to break your head to a brick-wall trying to help me (you did more than enough) anyways i'm gonna change my graphics card (because this one really lacks for gaming in ultra settings 1080p) i'm getting a EVGA 960GTX 4GB next month and sell the R7 360 2GB that I have now :) thanks for your help anyways!

So, the W2243s's aren't exactly new. Since they only have VGA inputs, the different adapters are not as likely to help.
What happens if you swap which monitor is connected to which cable? I think your best bet is to play around with different cable options. Try unplugging one and plugging in the other. Maybe try turning on the computer before connecting the screens and then switching. Sometimes little changes can get things working.

Solution