Win 10 loaded ssd into a Win 7 laptop?

zorbathegeek

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have a Win 10 64 bit loaded ssd in my current Asus laptop and I want to try and transplant it into my new Lenovo laptop, which is currently running a 32 bit version of Win 7.

Both laptops are 2012 units if that's of any consequence. The Asus is junk but I want to keep the SSD which will be an improvement over the hard drive in the Lenovo.

Both versions of windows are OEM, no install disks.

Any tips or obvious conflicts?

Solution
obvious tip: download and install this onto new ssd once its in new machine as win 10 currently wouldn't activate for starters and the driver differences would create a nightmare.

win 10 links itself to CPU & motherboard so that win 10 install you have now only works in the machine its from. I assume the win 10 was an upgrade or was pre installed?

link is win 10 installer. create usb and reformat the ssd once its in new laptop.

You need to know the serial number of windows in the lenova to be able to activate win 10 in it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
obvious tip: download and install this onto new ssd once its in new machine as win 10 currently wouldn't activate for starters and the driver differences would create a nightmare.

win 10 links itself to CPU & motherboard so that win 10 install you have now only works in the machine its from. I assume the win 10 was an upgrade or was pre installed?

link is win 10 installer. create usb and reformat the ssd once its in new laptop.

You need to know the serial number of windows in the lenova to be able to activate win 10 in it.

Solution