Boot-time warning USB Device driver not found

muymalestado

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Win7x64
Over the past three months - or so - at boot-up a semi-transparent warning appears at the right end of the taskbar and then fades away after a moment when nothing is clicked.

All devices that I know about are working fine, no new ones have been installed for a year or two. I don't understand how to interogate Event Viewer to find this. Device Manager (USB list) shows one 'Unknown Device' which is - unknown, undescribable and unfindable.

Normally I would not worry except that something may actually be wrong and doom impending.

Suggestions appreciated.

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if any entries have ! or ? next to them? If so, that's what you need the driver(s) for. Go to your manufacturer's web site and download what you need. Try Device Manager first, but if that doesn't help, you can look at the highly cryptic system event error log by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event viewer -> Windows Logs -> System. Once there look for entries flagged "ERROR" in red.

Good luck.

muymalestado

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

muymalestado

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks wpgwpg. I've now tried the Event Viewer but cannot make a filter work for Windows,System events. I shall return to that next time and anytime the error recurs.

As I said Device Manager, USB List shows one wonky device (?) and I assume that is what gives rise to the error. DM has no information about the USB Device. It cannot be searched for, deleted, renewed, nothing. This is really really helpful of Redmond for Win7 users.

As no trouble is experienced on the PC I could let it run, but it seems to me a problem should be solved rather than ignored. Hence my query.

If you're looking for a good filter for the system event log, download MiniToolBox and click the box to show the last 10 system errors. That will boil the list to 10 error events.

Good luck.

muymalestado

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

Thanks wpgwpg. I'll try that when an error shows.