is a 144hz monitor worth it?

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Right now my pc gets anywhere from 90-200 frames in csgo (average is about 120) and I am wondering if a 144hz monitor is worth it? Will I get screen tearing if my fps is below the 144hz? Will I notice difference im getting 90 frames on a 144hz monitor compared to a 60hz?

Thanks

Solution

Screen tearing occurs any time the fps does not exactly match the monitor's refresh rate. So if you are getting 143 fps on a 144 Hz monitor, it will tear. 145 fps will also tear. Only 144.00000000 fps will not tear on a 144.00000000 Hz monitor. The video card is drawing directly to a chunk of video memory used to send images to the monitor. Every 1/144 seconds, the monitor grabs the contents of this video memory for display. If the fps does...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What are you playing at 90-200 fps on a 60hz monitor at the moment? You know a 60hz monitor cant display 90-200fps right? It just tears trying to shove multiple images on the screen at the same time because the monitor cant keep up, which I would imagine would make the image less accurate. So yes a 144hz monitor would help because you would actually be able to display over 60fps.

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

I have been playing with vsync, but you didn't answer any of my questions? will i get screen tearing when im getting less than 144hz? Is it worth the upgrade to only be getting 100 frames on a 144hz monitor?

bignastyid

Titan
Imho its worth it. No you should not get screen tearing if running below 144fps. Screen tearing usually occurs when you are running fps higher than the refresh not lower. I notice a difference at just 70fps on my 144hz monitor but everybody is different so I can say if you will or not.

Screen tearing occurs any time the fps does not exactly match the monitor's refresh rate. So if you are getting 143 fps on a 144 Hz monitor, it will tear. 145 fps will also tear. Only 144.00000000 fps will not tear on a 144.00000000 Hz monitor. The video card is drawing directly to a chunk of video memory used to send images to the monitor. Every 1/144 seconds, the monitor grabs the contents of this video memory for display. If the fps does not exactly match the monitor's refresh rate, a part of this video memory will be showing the next frame (if your fps > refresh) or the previous frame (if your fps < refresh).

Certain frequency combinations will make the tearing more or less noticeable. If the fps and refresh rate are very close, you will notice the tearing more because it will always occur near the same place - e.g. near the bottom and slowly moving up the screen if your fps is slightly slower than your refresh rate, or near the top and slowly moving down the screen if your fps is slightly faster. Other combinations of fps and refresh rate will cause the tear to jump all over the screen from frame to frame, making it less noticeable. In the latter case, tearing will be less noticeable on a 144 Hz monitor than a 60 Hz monitor because each individual tear will be displayed for a shorter period of time. A tear your eye may have noticed if it stayed in the same spot for 1/60 sec, will be jumping around every 1/144 sec.

The only two ways invented to prevent tearing are:

Vsync - This adds a screenbuffer - a chunk of memory the monitor will never see. The video card draws to the screenbuffer. The moment a complete image has been drawn to the screenbuffer, it gets copied to the video memory thus insuring the video memory always has a completely and non-torn image. The video card continues drawing the next frame to the screenbuffer,. Meanwhile, when the monitor refreshes, it grabs the complete image from video memory and displays it. (There are other variants you can read about if you're curious, but this is the simplest.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering

G-sync or Freesync - The monitor does not have a fixed refresh rate. Instead, the video card signals when it has finished drawing a complete image to video memory. The monitor then grabs this image and displays it, before the video card has had time to start overwriting it with the next frame.

Since OP already uses vsync, there is no tearing. The only benefit of moving to a 144 Hz monitor will be smoother animation. He'll see up to 144 fps, instead of up to 60 fps.

Solution

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

Hey there, Counter Strike global here. I bought a BenQ 120hz monitor a few years ago, I went from double ak to LEM in about two weeks. The monitor will NOT make you better. You need to be as good as the monitor you have, but oh good god yes 120hz/144 is overpowered. If your Gold Nova 1 or below just don't bother, focus on other things like sensitivity, awareness and strategy. No you will not get tearing. The difference between 60 and 75 frames is insane, 90 to 120 is less noticeable but definitely tangible.

Trust me, you will not regret a 120hz/144hz monitor if you are skilled enough to enjoy it.

Edit: Oh and turn Vsync off please. That creates input lag in csgo and all D3D apps. You really don't want vsync, or MSAA on in CSGO. Noticeable input lag.

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

thanks, first good answer I have gotten on this forum. Oh and you are the first person who isn't a complete nut as well.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I gave you that response because I cannot even describe how many cs go players ask this same question and do not understand why running a game at 300fps with a 60hz monitor is a bad thing. My apologies if you already knew that. That does not make me or anybody else that replied to you a "complete nut".

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

he is the first person who gave me an answer on his first reply, not commenting on a post that contains 0 help to the question

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

0 help to the question? I guess thats for you to determine but one of your questions was: is a 144hz monitor worth it?

My answer: "Yes a 144hz monitor would help because you would actually be able to display over 60fps."

Again I apologize if that was not what you were looking for, but no reason for you to be rude.

TRENDING THREADS