Can't select more than 120Hz screen refresh rate.

Mishhh

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Hello, so I cannot select higher than 120hz screen refresh rate, neither in Windows Monitor Settings, neither in the Nvidia Control Panel, neither in my Asus PG279Q on-screen menu. I want to use 144hz refresh rate.

Also in the Windows Display Settings under the Adapter tab I cannot see 144hz model for my GPU, the highest available is 120hz.

All my Hardware is capable of 144hz:
Cable: Display Port
Monitor: ASUS PG279Q, 165Hz Widescreen, G-SYNC - DP
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770, 4GB DDR5, TWIN FROZR
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I also have installed the latest driver updates both for the GPU and the Monitor.

Any ideas please? :(

Mishhh

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Well it is a Display Port, not sure about the version but it was provided in the box by Asus with the monitor, so I guess it should be a Display Port cable able to play the 165hz advertised.

Do lower version display ports only capable for 120hz?

And all other information about my hardware and driver updates is correct :)

If it came with the monitor it should be good.
I read on a forum that one user had success with a 700 series GPU running at 144Hz, but the monitor overclock setting had to be changed from 165 to 144 first. I would play around with you. You could also try using the custom resolution utility that is used for overclocking monitors.

Mishhh

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Thanks for your time!

As I wrote above I cannot select anything more than 120hz neither on the Monitor Menu, nor the Nvidia Control Panel, nor the Windows Monitor Settings.

Also the overclock setting only works for GTX960 and above, I have GTX770. However you can get until 144hz without the overclock setting. The overclock setting is used for 150Hz and more. So the overclock setting is not the issue.

I'm just repeating what someone else said worked for them with a 700 series card. I don't know why changing the OC settings on the monitor itself helped. They didn't seem to either.

I would take a look at the custom resolution utility:
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/thread-custom-resolution-utility-cru
It allows you to manually add modes for your GPU. You may even be able to overdrive your GPU to enable higher refresh rates than 144Hz.

Mishhh

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Ok thank you for your help, I will give it a look.

However I would prefer to find a solution to why it will not let me choose 144Hz the "normal" way since all of my hardware and drivers are capable of 144Hz and more.

I have done a lot of research in forums and webpages and cant find any similar cases. Most guys that cant choose higher frequencies is because they didn't use a Display Port or didn't change the Hz in the windows display settings, or simply because they didn't have hardware capable of higher frequencies.