what is app_updater_footer.png popup?

recDNA

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I keep getting a little popup on my home screen that says app_updater_footer.png. I have to x out or click on ok to get rid of it. I have an Alienware 51. It was originally windows 7. I had the popup in windows 7 and still have it in Windows 10 since updating. I have run malwarebytes, webroot, and mcafee but they find nothing. Computer acts normally. Anybody know what this popup might be or how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

Solution
Sometimes best way to fix this sort of thing is a fresh install. It would remove whatever left over files remain that are causing this problem.

Since pc works, copy anything you want to keep onto a separate hdd or USB stick, including library contents (maybe not downloads, can get them all again if applications), and then do the next bit

Go to settings/update & Security/Recovery/reset this pc
you get two choices, save files and settings or wipe everything.
Normally I would suggest the first one but whatever is causing this could be in your settings so I suggest wiping it all
PC will restart and then reinstall win 10 brand new

Copy everything back onto pc after reinstalling McAfee so it can scan them afresh. Now you shouldn't get...

recDNA

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the link. I did have that virus a while ago but webroot supposedly removed it. I then uninstalled webroot and installed mcafee which also supposedly removed it. Then malwarebytes but it no longer finds the virus nor does mcafee. Malwarebytes did quarantine 2 itmes in the registry but they didn't sound like the virus.

Anyway, to be honest, I always fear downloading and running free malware removers. Often they themselves are read as pups by mcafee. I have no way to know what's good and what isn't.

Is the symptom I have described an indication that I still have active ransomeware that mcafee etc cannot find nor remove? I find no mention of this symptom anywhere in the net.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sometimes best way to fix this sort of thing is a fresh install. It would remove whatever left over files remain that are causing this problem.

Since pc works, copy anything you want to keep onto a separate hdd or USB stick, including library contents (maybe not downloads, can get them all again if applications), and then do the next bit

Go to settings/update & Security/Recovery/reset this pc
you get two choices, save files and settings or wipe everything.
Normally I would suggest the first one but whatever is causing this could be in your settings so I suggest wiping it all
PC will restart and then reinstall win 10 brand new

Copy everything back onto pc after reinstalling McAfee so it can scan them afresh. Now you shouldn't get that pop up again.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS