Fresh Install from USB.

Dannekoon

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Hi.

I'm planning a brand new PC build, along with a newly bought copy of Windows 10. Since I never use a CD/DVD/Bluray drive I don't want to spend money getting one purely to install Windows 10 from the dvd. I could just buy a product key from the Microsoft site, but it is cheaper to get the dvd from where I am getting my PC components.

I have looked up on how this could be done using the tools Windows has, but given that this will be a fresh install on a brand new PC, would there be anything else I would need to do?

Thank you.

Solution
There are many methods to creating bootable USBs for OS installs. Windows 7 has a nice clean one for making basic IMG bootables. For ISOs, I use a tool called RmPrepUSB. It is powerful and has a bit of a learning curve to it. However, I quickly found detailed instructions on how to use it to make a Windows USB key.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rmprepusb-install-windows-usb-speed-up

Once the USB key is made, just boot from that. You may need to get into your BIOS to put the USB as higher priority than your HDD/SSD, at least temporarily. Also, most machines have a "boot options" function key, like "F12" that will let you select a temporary boot device. Unfortunately, which function key it is varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

timmoseus

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
There are many methods to creating bootable USBs for OS installs. Windows 7 has a nice clean one for making basic IMG bootables. For ISOs, I use a tool called RmPrepUSB. It is powerful and has a bit of a learning curve to it. However, I quickly found detailed instructions on how to use it to make a Windows USB key.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rmprepusb-install-windows-usb-speed-up

Once the USB key is made, just boot from that. You may need to get into your BIOS to put the USB as higher priority than your HDD/SSD, at least temporarily. Also, most machines have a "boot options" function key, like "F12" that will let you select a temporary boot device. Unfortunately, which function key it is varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Solution

Dannekoon

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Thank you :)