random PC freezing and BSOD

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello,

So today starting today my desktop has been having a lot of BSOD's and freezes while gaming.
When i game the computer just randomly freezes, first the screen freezes then the screen goes black, sometimes the sounds keeps playing. It stays like that until i manually reset.

Also after starting up the Pc it sometimes randomly gets BSOD with the message: driver irql not less or equal (jraid.sys).

Are these two related? Also what can be the cause?
All i can really add to it is that not long ago i was unable to entirely into windows and it was very hard to fix it. I was let to believe it is because my hdd is old (about 6 years) and probably need a replacement.
Can this issue be that my hdd is just giving up on me? or is this issue related to something else?
Are the freezing of my computer while gaming and the bsod while not gaming even connected?

Would be great if someone could help me with this. if It's a hardware issue i would not know which component to replace.

Thank you

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: YUME
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 10586
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASRock, X58 Extreme
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 12882890752 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 15/04/2016 0:40:31 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFE141CEB06F5F)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFE141CEB06F5F, 0xA, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8001A2CBE33)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Thu 14/04/2016 22:59:34 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041516-27046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: jraid.sys (jraid+0xBE33)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFE00773EBDACB, 0xA, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80197DEBE33)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\jraid.sys
product: JMicron JMB36X RAID Driver
company: JMicron Technology Corp.
description: JMicron JMB36X RAID Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: jraid.sys (JMicron JMB36X RAID Driver, JMicron Technology Corp.).
Google query: JMicron Technology Corp. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

jraid.sys (JMicron JMB36X RAID Driver, JMicron Technology Corp.)

So i guess i'll try to update that driver? it does not seem to show any of the game freezes I've been having which were 4 or 5 times.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the first one is likely to be your graphics cards (I had the unknown thing earlier today, search google for kernal mode driver and first 4 searches go to Nvidia drivers). Should try this: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

are you running raid? Jraid.sys dates back to XP, though it did occur in Win 7 too. thier last driver was released in 2009. Your current motherboard has Intel raid so not sure how you got it.

If it shows in add/remove programs, yeah Delete it... i suspect its more likely hiding in device manager under storage devices.

did you do an AV scan?

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I found the "JMicron JMB36x Driver" in my list of installed software... but i don't know what it is or how it would've been installed. I don't run raid or anything..
Should i just delete it?

And the gpu thing.. you mean its the gpu itself or are you refering to it is likely the driver? would suck if it was the gpu cause its new.

The AV scan is running and now i'm about to check your link. Thanks for helping out already so far!

focus on the jmicron driver bugcheck. most likely your machine has two sata controllers. A intel controller and a secondary jmicron sata controller on the motherboard. If you are not using the secondary controller (the higher speed one) then move all your devices to the primary intel SATA controller. Then disable the jmicron controller in BIOS and reboot.

you can then remove the driver for the jmicron sata controller.

you had two bugchecks, the first was a generic error and does not indicate the GPU driver, it just indicates a general type of device driver error.
the second bugcheck indicates the jmicron driver. Most likely you need a custom version that you would have to get from the motherboard vendor. Most older motherboard just will not have a update for this driver.

if you do not disable the jmicron driver in the BIOS, windows will detect the hardware and reinstall the jmicron driver a few seconds after your remove it.
if you do not move the hard drive data cables to the intel controller the drive will stop working (until windows automatically reinstalls the driver and you are back where you started)

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
What do you mean by "what type"? if you mean to ask if i have an ssd then no.

I have 2 hdd's, one with my windows install on and another for storage.

My main HDD is a WD 3.5 inch with 1TB capacity.

and @johnbl:
Does this also affect the game freezes?

Edit: I don't seem to have an option to disable JMicron controller in the BIOS

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't see any reference to JMicron on here:http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X58%20Extreme/

6 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Matrix Storage), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions

Or I am wrong

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X58%20Extreme/?cat=Download&os=Win764 He is right, its listed here as a Win 7 driver for your board.

it runs a sata port
However, ASRock X58 Extreme didn’t manage to do without additional SATA controllers. They had to integrate JMicron JMB360 controller that “transforms” one PCI Express lane into one SATA port in order to implement the Powered eSATAII/USB connector on the back of the board. It is a more economical solution than the one we saw on ASRock X58 SuperComputer where they integrated a JMicron JMB362 controller, but used only one SATA ports of the two it provided.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asrock-x58-extreme_2.html

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
My mobo is near prehistoric and is VERY limited in options lol... Soon i can buy a new mobo along with a new cpu..

But okay back to the topic, i did the gpu driver clean install, and i deleted the JMicron driver an dit did not appear to have reinstalled it.
The AV scan only came up with one thing but i don't see its relevance (remainder of a previous av installation).

i'm probably going to try to check if things work now(since next week going to be a long one with lot of work and i want a few relaxing days before that).

But just in case it's going to freeze gain, is there something i can do to monitor it or something.. since it did not appear to log those freezes..

@Colif
I just read your Edit.. Did i do something wrong by uninstalling JMicron driver then?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think so. I wish I had looked into that aspect more before saying delete it. It ran an eSATA port at back of box, if you don't use it you may be fine. Otherwise you can dl the win 7 drivers but they lead to errors.

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Yea there is a sata port at the back of the computer but i don't use it, i'm using the other ones on the mobo.. i mean if it's an issue i still have the install disc of my mobo, the install for the driver is probably on there aswell. But if everything runs fine now i might not bother installing that

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
the jraid BSOD didn't happen on every start but so far I've restarted like 5 or 6 times and it didn't BSOD. So maybe that is gone indeed.

Well to be fair, i'm the one doing the touching here so.. ;D

Is there a way to find out what is causing the freezing?

Edit: again 4 minutes in game and freezes. My mobo display doesn't show an error code either
I did check for overheating but a minute before the freeze my gpu was at 50°C and my cpu at 45°C and mobo at 40.. So i don't think it's overheating unless the temperatures increased by 50 in a minute

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
So what i did was give windows more virtual memory and that seems to have fixed this.. been running the game for 4 hours or longer and still no freezing.

I don't see how the virtual memory can cause your entire system to freeze though.. Or maybe i was just lucky and the computer decided to let me game a bit longer this time lol but for now it seems to have worked.

As for the BSOD, it did not return, it seems deleting that driver fixed that.

FluffyMoose

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Well apparently this game is using the full paging full size... I don't know if that's normal or not but apparently even with it set to automatically manage, the game does not seem to freeze anymore..

Can toggling this option and restarting have fixed this?