Comparing Sound Cards & DACs: Best Sound Card and DAC Under $300?

Blue Bulldog

Reputable
Apr 14, 2016
Differences Between These Sound Cards and DACs?

I should start out by saying that I don't know anything about audio. I recently finished building my first custom gaming PC. I want to add either a sound card or DAC, so I can have the best audio possible for under $300. I play games, watch movies, and listen to and edit music. I have Sennheiser PC 363D headphones for games and movies and Sennheiser 598 SE headphones for music. I just ordered a pair of JBL LSR305s for my PC speakers. Basically, I'm considering a few different sound cards and DACs for my PC and want to know what the differences are and what my best option would be. To me, they all seem pretty similar, but like I said, I don't know anything about audio. If anyone could help me out and let me know the differences between all of these options and let me know what the best choice would be, I would really appreciate it.

Sound Cards

DACs

I can't compare those for you since I haven't heard them all. I am a headphone audiophile and I think very highly of my Asus Xonar Essence STX. Not only does it sound clear and accurate, but it can provide either line-out or headphone amp output to either the front or back panels - there must be relays in it somewhere.

The STX was replaced with a new model, the STX II. Don't get the 7.1 unless you intend to drive that many channels. I've never heard one, so I can't tell you if they are good or bad.

Note that I like Baroque music and accuracy and transparency are more important to me than strong bass.

If you really want to blow some money, this portable DAC / headphone amp sounds great and will set you back only about $500
DSC_0327_sized_PR.jpeg