Is it just me or watching movies on curved screen may feel smoother?

ffleader1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
It's incredibly obvious that most movies are filmed at 23.976 FPS. They are "Okay" to me but certainly not as smooth as 60 FPS. I know what 60 FPS movies "may" look like, as I watch lots of 60 FPS trailers (on a nromal flat computer monitor). They are awesome. :D
Anyway, I just got a Samsung smart TV, and it's curved. I realize that watching movies on it make me feel...smoother than 24 FPS. I wouldn't say it's like watching 60 FPS trailer on a computer screen, but still, quite smooth..like, I don't know, 45 FPS maybe... Basically I just feel smoother.
So is it just me, or the curved 48 inch TV can actually give better viewing experience?

Solution
Movie (Hollywood) trailers aren't mastered at 60 FPS, they still use 23.976 for YouTube. CBender is likely correct here, Interpolation definitely makes everything seem smoother than what it's intended to look like. With that said, what you should do, if your TV is a native 120 Hz panel, with 240 Hz interpolation, is to disable interpolation, and in the blu ray player (if that's what you use), make sure you use 24p playback mode. This will give you the true feel the directors and editors went for, exactly like the cinema. Smoother doesn't always mean better, I personally think that interpolation makes things look too smooth, with that said, watching Hockey, and the puck is crystal clear while moving, that is really some crazy achievment...
Movie (Hollywood) trailers aren't mastered at 60 FPS, they still use 23.976 for YouTube. CBender is likely correct here, Interpolation definitely makes everything seem smoother than what it's intended to look like. With that said, what you should do, if your TV is a native 120 Hz panel, with 240 Hz interpolation, is to disable interpolation, and in the blu ray player (if that's what you use), make sure you use 24p playback mode. This will give you the true feel the directors and editors went for, exactly like the cinema. Smoother doesn't always mean better, I personally think that interpolation makes things look too smooth, with that said, watching Hockey, and the puck is crystal clear while moving, that is really some crazy achievment by the manufacturers.

Solution

ffleader1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

For sports it's great. For everything else, it looks horribly fake. Smoother than life lol...