Program Constantly Opens In Secondary Screen

BummerAfterSummer

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi all, I am a VFX editor, and have just recently acquired Nuke, a node-based compositing program. But there is a rather annoying problem that I'm having with it. It keeps opening on my secondary monitor. I use other editing softwares such as Premiere Pro, After Effects etc, but Nuke, and Nuke alone repeatedly opens on my secondary monitor. Does anyone know how to make it so Nuke opens on my primary monitor? Thanks!

Solution

All do basically the same thing, reset the window defaults. If you had a DP cable laying around that's fast enough, though the other two options also take less than 5 min to do (just in case someone else wanders in here)

BummerAfterSummer

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did a bit of reading up, and apparently it doesn't matter how you set up/configure your monitors, Windows will always choose HDMI/Display Port cables over DVI and VGA. So I found my Display Port cable for my primary monitor, and replaced the DVI with the DP cable. Booted up my computer and voila, my primary monitor is set as 1, and my secondary monitor is set as 2. Now Nuke opens on my primary monitor. But thanks again for the suggestion my man!

Not actually true there, I have a machine with HDMI on second screen (TV) and DVI on primary, and everything opens as expected on the DVI screen. If you didn't set the HDMI as the primary (possible, you never mentioned which was the real primary and which was the extended one), the only real other possible issue is that your software was set up to start on the other monitor, which can be fixed by resetting the window positions (my suggestion), cleaning your drivers (effectively the same as the first option) or changing the monitor setup (which in effect resets the window positions too)

BummerAfterSummer

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Oh, because I originally had my primary monitor (with the DVI) as my primary. However, Windows would always check it with a number 2 at the bottom right, even though I set it as my primary. All of my programs would open on the correct screen, it was just Nuke was constantly starting on my secondary monitor. And I wouldn't be able to swap my monitors around since my primary is a 1440p monitor, with beautiful color reproduction which helps when I'm color correcting. I'm sure you're right about cleaning my drivers and getting ccleaner, but I felt that swapping the monitor cable to a Display Port cable was less time consuming and relatively simple.

All do basically the same thing, reset the window defaults. If you had a DP cable laying around that's fast enough, though the other two options also take less than 5 min to do (just in case someone else wanders in here)

Solution