Discussion: Biological Computing

Biological computers are the most interesting pieces of hardware you will ever see. Instead of using transistors, biological computers use biomolecules to do all the calculations. The beauty of using biomolecules is that you can create a CPU that can compute several calculations all at the exact same time, something that our current processing units will never be able to do.

Because of this, biological computing could be well over 1000x more powerful than any standard computer on the market today. And because it consumes extremely low amounts of power, you could have a supercomputer running in your ultra slim laptop very soon.

It's still in it's early stages, but from what I've heard it will be 10 years before this kind of technology comes to the masses.

Watch this video for more information:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHcNyC6O84"][/video]

Please feel free to discuss this topic to you hearts content.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
FIRST

Haha

Anyways, I need to remember the name of this, but I recall of a project(done by IBM perhaps) that fused a bacteria or something to a silicon chip which was on a prosthetic tested by a military-retired Chinese woman... Not sure how long ago this was... I THINK the name of the project was Octopus or something similar...