Newer graphics card in older computer, poor performance.

Intertype

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hello,

This is my first post here so I am sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. That said, I've got my hands on a few years old computer from a colleague that I planned to use as a LAN gaming computer in my home. I have recently bought a 908 ti for my main computer so I thought, why not put my old ASUS R9 280 in this older computer and see what happens. The card is the overclocked variant and my main computer managed to play most of my games on it with high settings using an Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5 GHz and 8gb RAM. For example, I ran Fallout 4 with no problems with almost everything on max settings and managed to get a solid 60 fps most of the time.

Some specs on the older computer:

- Windows 10 64bit (fresh install)
- Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.40Ghz
- ASUS Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCUII TOP
- 16GB Kingston DDR3 668.69 MHz
- ASUS P8P67 REV 3.1 (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_REV_31/)
- 500w Antec PSU
- two mechanical HDDs

The computer has previously been used in a studio and because it was originally purchased from the store I was a bit worried that my GPU would not fit, but it did. However, in the second of the motherboard's two PCI Express slots .I cleaned everything with compressed air and bundled up all the cables neat and tidy. Drivers are up to date on the GPU (no beta drivers) , it works great to surf. However, when I try to play Fallout 4 it recommends low settings. And when I get to the main menu it lags like crazy. In-game the fps is so unreliable, jumping from 30 to 10 down to 5 in some places. I would say the average is around 14fps. The GPU load is a constant 99-100% while the CPU gets around 40-60% load, even at the lowest settings.

I guess I could overclock my CPU and put in an SSD, but from what I'm seeing this has something to do with the graphics card. What could be wrong?

Intertype

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

That's interesting. I just ran a benchmark (3D Mark) and got over 100fps with virtually no lag. It certainly looks like Fallout 4 is somehow not liking this setup. Could it be that the RAM is slow so Fallout uses my vRAM instead and that's why I get really low fps and 100% GPU load?

Intertype

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Ok, so I think i had it wrong at 668.69 MHz. Looks like it's at 1600. Anyways. I guess this is a problem with Fallout 4 only. I'll post back here again if I find a solution. I have plans on changing to SSD and maybe get a newer motherboard and different RAM.

I'll be curious to see if that solves the problem. Good luck!