I want to learn all about IT

Smeash

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hello, I'm Maximilian, 21 y'old . I like reading online about PC's , cars and mostly gaming.
But now things got serious (currently having a shitty job because I moved into another country ) and I need some strong basics because I want to get a job.

I want to learn all about Developing, Programming, Network (ISP) - basic everything.

I know it will take months, maybe years but I have this strong desire to learn.

Could someone point me on the right direction about the best location to read / learn ?
I know that some people here are highly experienced and I'm sure that with that experience they will point me in the right direction on some good guides or tutorials, or maybe books.

Thanks and much appreciate

Solution
Well I do not know how much you know right now but I am going to assume you know the basics of the basics. So your first lesson should be knowing all the computer components. Start with hardware. There are 2 main topics in any thing electronic. Software and hardware. Anyways, hardware in computers terms you need to know. CPU, HDD, GPU, PSU, Motherboard, dvd drive-self exclamatory, RAM. Then I would learn more things about each thing. You can start with YouTube and simple searches on Google. Also sense it is IT, you need to know how to fix. So get to know what is probably wrong and which part it is. YouTube has a lot of demenstrations on how to fix certain problems. You will need experience and to do that, go to a local dump and pick...

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Well I do not know how much you know right now but I am going to assume you know the basics of the basics. So your first lesson should be knowing all the computer components. Start with hardware. There are 2 main topics in any thing electronic. Software and hardware. Anyways, hardware in computers terms you need to know. CPU, HDD, GPU, PSU, Motherboard, dvd drive-self exclamatory, RAM. Then I would learn more things about each thing. You can start with YouTube and simple searches on Google. Also sense it is IT, you need to know how to fix. So get to know what is probably wrong and which part it is. YouTube has a lot of demenstrations on how to fix certain problems. You will need experience and to do that, go to a local dump and pick some old computers up and fix them, take them apart and put them back together. Building your own PC is crucial. Also know the differences between laptop and desktop. For networking, go to YouTube and search for network tutorial videos or even college class videos on IT. About software, that is another topic. Learn about the BIOS-goes with hardware and software. Learn the diffrent techniques fir virus removal. Learn about safemode, there are 3 types. Learn about diffrent operating system for all makers and with in each maker. For example, Microsoft there is Windows OS and like Windows 7 or 8 or 10 or 98-really old os. I would just look at college descriptions and then go to YouTube and search for that course. Hope thus helps.

Solution
From my own experience with programming people jump into the syntax too quickly and forget to train their mind to have proper logic. I know a lot of programmers, I have a lot of people I have collaborated with, I know a lot of guys (I sound like Trump right now I know lol), and many of them have extremely strong brains with great memories for memorizing codes and syntax, but when it comes to making programs, they write a lot more code than they have to to accomplish something, it gets very messy, and me, who doesn't memorize too much syntax, but has good logic skills, manages to create the program with less lines of code.

You need to train yourself to think like a programmer first. It won't just come naturally. Where do I recommend you start? The same place I once started: http://scratch.mit.edu it's a programming tool made by MIT. Click "Create" at the top of the site and snap together blocks and create a nice 2D video game.

I know what you'll think at first: This thing is for, like, little kids! Yes, Scratch is a program developed by MIT for teaching new people of any age to program. You won't gain any useful coding or syntax knowledge, but you will gain a lot of logic by developing games. So if you spend time on that site for a week, you should have a good grasp of the logic, and perhaps you could publish a nice game for people to play.

Some of my own developments I have made using this site, and I'm not a little kid:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/12999385/ (TD game)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/22721472/ (TD game)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/23370946/ (unfinished)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/17692285/ (Dojo Master game)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11576203/ (Paint editor)

Very simple program to use. Does not require any memorization of codes. But it will teach you logic. You cannot skimp on the logic. If you find yourself having trouble creating the project or game you want to create on this website, keep trying at it, because if you give up and jump right into C++ you'll be making a big mistake.

Note: Harvard uses the Scratch software for its introduction to programming class.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016

He is trying to become an IT person, not a computer programmer. I have fixed computers for a long time and never had to use programming. It is either virus removal or diagnosing which part is bad like psu, gpu, motherboard, ram, CPU, ect. No programming required. So I guess my question is where would programming be useful when trying to fix a computer?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
He also said in the title, I want to know all about IT. Maybe he us trying to learn and did not know that programming is not normally associated with IT but rather a programmer or computer science related field. I did read his post by the way.

Ralston18

Titan
I think the value of the programming, as turkey3_scratch mentioned, are the logic skills that programming brings out.

Logic skills are widely applicable - and a key part of troubleshooting.

Our tech's provided hardware and software support to customers. Occasionally they had to come up with macros for customers. SQL was used to manage and manipulate data for some offices when home grown systems stopped working for unknown reasons. More and more administrators are using Powershell.

Scripts are key to managing large groups of computers, routers, switches, etc..

Overall I have a broader definition of IT and what an IT person does and will do. And all that will change.

And we have some younger family members who have been on MIT's scratch. (Plus a few other similar sites as well.) Can only report varying degrees of interest and success. [Sidebar: Minecraft seems to be the "one ring" these days.....] However, once in awhile the kids chose to go back to some site and give things a try again. Seems I must also do the same in order to keep up with them and to be able to help with logic. Keeps me going and overall just too much fun sometimes....

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Yes, programming gives logic and how to think like a computer. I guess, I was working on computers and using logic before I learned my first programming language which was Python. But yes, I agree that programming gives you logic also.

Smeash

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the interest in this post.

I already know about hardware but I think I'll start from there, maybe I'll find out about other things.
Than I'll move on to bios, troubleshooting, networking and in the end on programming.

Thanks for the directions, really much appreciate them.

I also bought a book that is actually helpful "coding for beginners".

Thanks for all the support :) This is a great community