Windows 10 BSOD loop on boot. Please Help!

Tiaticus

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I recently built my first computer (Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fwmcXL) about 5 months ago. Every once in a while it would BSOD, but it was relatively infrequent (~2 per week). This past week they started happening more frequently (10+ per week) until yesterday, when I booted up my pc it BSOD'd almost instantly, when proceeded to BSOD loop while attempting to boot over and over. Initially, I was still sometimes (~30%) getting to my desktop for a few minutes before the next BSOD.

Here is a list of BSODs I encountered yesterday (in no particular order):
Critical Process Died
KMODE Exception Not Handled
System Service Exception (FLTMGR.sys)
Page Fault in Nonpage area
System Service Exception (Win32kfull.sys)
Driver Overran Stack Buffer
Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

As I was getting these BSODs I was googling each one. They all seemed to point towards a driver issue. One of the google results suggested running verifier.exe /standard /all through command prompt. After I did that I haven't been able to get to my desktop since. If my boot doesn't get taken down by any of the above BSODs, a new BSOD (Driver Verifier DMA Violation) always appeared right before windows started.

Every time windows tried to go into System Restore, instant BSOD. I tried to use the "Repair my PC" option from the Windows 10 install CD, but none of the System Restore or System Reset options functioned, as they cited I didn't have an Operating System selected and to restart to select an Operating System (???).

So since all the issues seemed to point towards driver issues, I decided to go buy a new Hard Drive and install a fresh copy of windows on it, just so I can try to pull my data off my old drive. But, you guessed it, BSOD (Driver Overran Stack Buffer, specifically) during Windows Install onto the blank drive (I completely disconnected all other drives).

Since it still BSODs on a fresh drive, I'm guessing it's a hardware issue with one of my components? I ran Memtest last night just to confirm my RAM is okay, and no issues there.

Does anybody have any idea what I can / should do? Please help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bug check has a value of 0x000000EF. This indicates that a critical system process died.

The KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000001E. This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

The SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000003B. This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
FltMgr.sys is a “system” file used by Windows to help control various aspects of your hard drives & files. Its official name is the “Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager” and its main duty in the operating system is make sure that the data written to the hard drive is correct and not corrupted.

The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bug check has a value of 0x00000050. This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

he SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000003B. This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
Win32kfull controls the desktop

The DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER bug check has a value of 0x000000F7. This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.
The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

the last bsod (Driver Verifier DMA Violation) can only occur if you running the verifier

Resolution

This bug check can only occur when Driver Verifier has been instructed to monitor one or more drivers. If you did not intend to use Driver Verifier, you should deactivate it. You might also consider removing the driver that caused this problem.

I would guess at a virus except it happens on a fresh install on a new hdd
All the errors seem to relate to memory one way or other, or at least data.

Have you updated the bios at all?

Tiaticus

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Yes just last night I updated the BIOS via usb flash. It seemed to let me get through the windows install, but then on initial boot after the install it would BSOD again (System Service Exception).

I took my gpu out to see if that was causing the BSODs; no change. Fresh HD; no change. Ran Memtest (no errors) and rearranged my ram in different combinations to see if that would do anything; no change.

So I'm thinking I've narrowed down the issue to either my mobo, CPU, or PSU, as those are the only components I haven't swapped out / uninstalled. Any suggestions on how to test these components? Namely the CPU. I've got an old PSU that might work as a baseline.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know where this: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply sits on this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html but I don't think its in the top 2 tiers as its bronze.

It could be all the other parts aren't getting the power they need. Or it might not be the cause at all. I am cautious to say its power as I have been wrong about that before. But rest of your rig is top quality so its a bad idea normally to give them bad power.

Tiaticus

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Do you know of any CPU tests that are bootable via usb? Since I have no desktop access.

Tiaticus

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
For anyone interested: I narrowed it down to either my CPU or my Mobo, and after talking to some people it appeared that the mobo was statistically more likely to be at fault, so I RMA'd it. We will see what happens when it comes back.