Dell U2414H or Samsung S24D590PL for a 1080p IPS monitor?

Venesys

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Hi, I'm going to buy a monitor tomorrow and I'm currently debating between the 2 monitors at the title. My choices are pretty limited because the local stores where I live don't have a lot of options.

Does the Dell offer any advantages over the Samsung besides being able to adjust height? Because the Samsung has the better response time at 5ms compared to 8ms on the dell. I'm not a competitive FPS player, but I do play Overwatch/Titanfall occasionally.

Also, I will be fine playing my PS4 on those monitors right? My TV is pretty crappy so I plan to just use the monitor for both my PC and my PS4.

Thanks!

Solution

It's really just a matter of personal opinion and you'd really need to see them side by side to compare and what is more important to you. For me, viewing angle and monitor stand adjustment settings are crucial because I am constantly adjusting the monitor height and angle when switching between flight simulation and racing simulation

In any event, likely you won't notice the image difference separately in a blind test. Both are excellent monitors. If viewing angle isn't that important nor is stand adjustment, go for the...
I'll answer in reverse order. Yes, the monitor will work fine on your PS4. I use a 27" 1080p Samsung monitor for mine and it actually looks better than on my bedroom 32" due to higher pixel density of the smaller monitor. Regarding response time, you will not notice the difference between 5ms and 8ms.

Now regarding the two monitors, I'd get the Dell over the Samsung. The Sammy is a PLS and the Dell is a true IPS. The PLS type panels have been reported to have lower viewing angles than IPS monitors (means if you view the panel from the side or off center the display brightness and color will be washed out of direct view of your eyes). However, PLS also is reported to be higher image quality than IPS. The general consensus is get an IPS for gaming and PLS if pure image quality like photo viewing is important.

The Dell is no longer available new in the US (meaning it's an end of product cycle, no longer being made). But that monitor stand is the same as my Dell U2713HM 27" 1440 monitor. It is solid and does not allow the monitor to shake even when I have my gaming wheel on the desk with heavy force feedback shakes.

Venesys

Reputable
May 2, 2015

Thanks for the response. If i'm viewing my monitor mostly from the center, shouldn't I go for the PLS which has the better image quality? I'm leaning towards the Dell, but just asking out of curiosity.

It's really just a matter of personal opinion and you'd really need to see them side by side to compare and what is more important to you. For me, viewing angle and monitor stand adjustment settings are crucial because I am constantly adjusting the monitor height and angle when switching between flight simulation and racing simulation

In any event, likely you won't notice the image difference separately in a blind test. Both are excellent monitors. If viewing angle isn't that important nor is stand adjustment, go for the Samsung!

Solution