Building Media Center From Old PC - Need Graphics Card

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
So, I need some advice. I'm building a media center PC out of an old Compaq/HP SR5210NX. Old parts are super cheap these days if you know where to look so here's what I've done so far...

• Ordered 4GB RAM (Past the 2GB recommended limit but I read of other people doing it)
    Ordered a Core 2 Duo E4300 (Maximum recommended CPU)
    Ordered USB bluetooth (For the remote/Irrelevant)
    Ordered awesome bluetooth remote (Irrelevant)
    Ordered new HDD (Irrelevant)

I did all that for well under $100

Objective:
Smooth 1080p (Or better if not crazy expensive in case TV upgrade happens) video playback for torrent, netflix, etc. streaming via HDMI is the main objective here so I need a graphics card. I might run Linux (Which I'm very experienced in) and some open source media center software or I might just throw Windows on it.

Slot: PCIe2 x16
Price Range: 0 - 140$. I see many graphics cards that fit the bill all the way up to more modern graphics cards that would technically run in the machine and for really cheap prices but I don't want to max out the CPU from making a bad GFX card choice and of course using a 2015-2016 card would just be ridiculous. I really don't feel like replacing the power supply either.

All suggestions welcome. I usually search for them using Google Shopping and Amazon.

Thanks

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

wattage of the power supply?

does it have a 6-pin pcie cable?

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016

The BIOS should be primarily responsible for the PCIe controller, not what specific graphics cards are supported, correct? Also, I prefer nvidia and if it winds up being an absolute must in order to accomplish my goal, I'll upgrade the power supply if I have to. Drivers aren't going to be a problem and I'm not going to use Vista. I'll use 7, 8.1, 10, or a Debian-based Linux distro. It's the power supply, CPU usage, and any possible bottlenecking concerning the graphics card I'm concerned with.

Edit: It's also worth noting that I'd like the graphics card to have onboard audio for hdmi.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
I'm hoping this super cheap core2 I ordered isn't going to be broken or something, I guess I'll checkout a specialized forum for the GPU. The HP support site doesn't suggest any GPU specs. It only states the slot is there.