Built-In Administrator Account? WHY?

NOT_PROVIDED_134

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I just reinstalled Windows 10 fresh, using the built in reset button found in the Windows 10 settings. Now when I try to use certain Windows programs it complains about a built-in administrator account? Why is this a thing? Why can't an ADMINISTRATOR access programs? And how do I fix this?

Solution
Sounds like something went wrong in the reset. The System Administrator account has more permissions than a User account at the Administative level.

You might fix things if you activate the SysAdmin account. Go to c:\windows\system32 and right click the file cmd.exe then select RunAs Administrtaor.

At the prompt in the Command form that shows up, type
net user Administrator /active:yes
then hit Enter.

Restart the machine and Administrator will have been added to the icons on the welcome screen. Log in to that account and see if things work for you. Oddly, there are still some things that even that account cannot do.

If you want to get rid of it, the syntax is as above except "yes" becomes "no".
Sounds like something went wrong in the reset. The System Administrator account has more permissions than a User account at the Administative level.

You might fix things if you activate the SysAdmin account. Go to c:\windows\system32 and right click the file cmd.exe then select RunAs Administrtaor.

At the prompt in the Command form that shows up, type
net user Administrator /active:yes
then hit Enter.

Restart the machine and Administrator will have been added to the icons on the welcome screen. Log in to that account and see if things work for you. Oddly, there are still some things that even that account cannot do.

If you want to get rid of it, the syntax is as above except "yes" becomes "no".

Solution

NOT_PROVIDED_134

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015

Thanks, it seems like this will work. Is there any way of copying over the settings from my original user to this one? There's a lot of things I have changed and customized.

Copy the folders C:\Users\{yourname}AppData, AppData(Local) and AppData/Roaming and put them somewhere safe. When you install a programme, select the relevant settings folders and files and overwrite the new ones which were created when you reinstalled.

If you copy them all into the same place in your new installation, they will be overwritten with virtual blanks when you install the programme.