Dual boot and USB failure

Vusa360

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
I am currently trying to install two operating systems on my PC.

So far I have Windows 10 installed on one hard drive with a secondary hard drive for data storage. On my third hard drive, which is an SSD, I am trying to install a Linux OS. However, there is a problem. When the Linux starts to install, all my USB ports stop working so I am unable to use my mouse and keyboard. I thought this may be due to a disc not done properly or a problem with a specific OS so I tried a few things. I tried three different Linux OSes. On disc, I tried Ubuntu and Kali. The problem occurred when I clicked install or "try before installing". And on bootable USB I tried Linux Mint, however, I was unable to get that to work.

My PC specs:

CPU - AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor

MotherBoard - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 WindForce 3x OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card GV-N770OC-4GD)

RAM - TeamGroup Elite Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED316GM1600HC11DC01)

Hard Drive 1 - Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Internal Hard Drive, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, 8ms, OEM

Hard Drive 2 - Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB Internal Hard Drive, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, 8ms, OEM

Hard Drive 3 - SanDisk SSD 64 GB SATA III 2.5-inch Internal SSD (This is the one I want to put Linux on)

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Edit

Just a note - The most recent OS I am working on trying to install is Linux Kali. This is burned on a DVD and the USB ports work until this point http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/01-install-select.png

I am not using a laptop so both the mouse and keyboard stop working.

Edit please see here for more info. This is still an open thread. Not sure how to fix as of yet.

http://superuser.com/questions/1066542/dual-boot-and-usb-failure

Solution
UEFI ? Try legacy BIOS.
USB3 ?, haven't see many Linux distros that can BOOT from USB3.
You may also want to have only disk you want to install Linux on connected.
Which program are you using to make bootable USB with ?
I'm using latest Mint on same MB and it boots and installs on legacy BIOS and from USB3 made by Rufus and Lily.
You may also check in BIOS if "USB Legacy Function (Allows USB keyboard to be used in MS-DOS)". function is Enabled.
UEFI ? Try legacy BIOS.
USB3 ?, haven't see many Linux distros that can BOOT from USB3.
You may also want to have only disk you want to install Linux on connected.
Which program are you using to make bootable USB with ?
I'm using latest Mint on same MB and it boots and installs on legacy BIOS and from USB3 made by Rufus and Lily.
You may also check in BIOS if "USB Legacy Function (Allows USB keyboard to be used in MS-DOS)". function is Enabled.

Solution