(Need expert's help!) Having a strong dilemma: Use intergrated graphics or old GPU for dual monitor setup

darklex

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
First of all my system specs:

CPU: i5 4670k
GPU: gtx 960 2GB
RAM: Gskill ripjaws 16GB
MOBO: Asrock b85 pro4

I have an old analog monitor with VGA connection that I want to use as a second monitor for browsing the net while gaming on the other one. Since I don't want to share even the slightest of the GPU's performance I need to either use the integrated graphics or add my really old gt 210 to support the second monitor. If I use my old gpu (PSU is not a problem) the connection of the gtx 960 will change from x16 to x8 because the i5 is bottlenecking it. On the other hand -and this is why I'm asking for your opinion - I could use the integrated graphics but I'm playing demanding titles and I wouldn't like to see any performance drop AT ALL. Is this possible?

Solution
Really dependent on your motherboard and whether or not it can utilize the on-board graphics while a discrete card is installed. Personally, I'd take the GT210's graphics memory over the on-board using system memory. I don't think your GTX960 is going to suffer going from an x16 throughput to an x8 throughput.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Found this article in regards to x16 vs x8: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Really dependent on your motherboard and whether or not it can utilize the on-board graphics while a discrete card is installed. Personally, I'd take the GT210's graphics memory over the on-board using system memory. I don't think your GTX960 is going to suffer going from an x16 throughput to an x8 throughput.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Found this article in regards to x16 vs x8: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

-Wolf sends

Solution

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Wolf is right about 960 not exceeding x8 throughput. Guess you could use all three haha and figure out what is your personal preference.

Yes the 210 has its own memory, but the Intel hd 4600 is actually more powerful and has support for newer APIs. For gaming and watching video I would actually recommend the Intel, but in reality you can use all three and figure out what you like.

210 can work as a PhysX GPU although I'm uncertain if it would boost performance.

however if you had a Nvidia 610 I would say nvidia for sure.

GPUs4CommonMan

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
210 should do the job BUT since the CPU can't handle it, then I'd recommend using the integrated chip (like in a laptop except for in this case, you'd be connecting the integrated to additional external). Use GTX for primary monitor and set the GTX control panel in the format below to optimize for the programs you want:

USE THESE!
threaded optimization
shader cache
and tinker with the multipledisplay/mixedGPU acceleration (no you can't get any better FPS with the 210 just for web usage so stay with integrated)....oh boy these are times when you really need an AMD just for flexibility and common sense.

But if you happen to get a newer CPU, it's better to go with 210 just cause the control panel will detect it.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Its a lot less complex than that to dedicate a different GPU to each screen. You only need to right click the desktop screen and choose screen resolution to get to the right menu to do it.

Not sure what you mean by newer CPU. Technically i7 4790K has marginally higher clocked integrated graphics and shouldn't have trouble being recognised by the monitor.

Broadwell i7 shouldn't have problems either. I feel like I have misunderstood something you said.

BTW if you look up Intel 4600 vs Nvidia 210 you will see on userbenchmark that the Intel igpu is way ahead for performance.

darklex

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014

Would it be better if I were to buy a vga to hdmi and connect it to the gtx 960 ?

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
No, it won't stress the CPU.
It theoretically can stress the CPU, but that would require you to be overclocking the CPU and also pushing the integrated graphics to the max in gaming.

In all honesty, if anything you will get lower system power consumption using the integrated graphics for web browsing.