Forcing duplicate monitors to have different resolutions

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
With my set up i have my main 2 21inch dell monitors, i also have a tv via hdmi in a different room set to duplicate the first monitor, and a old samsung 17inch set to duplicate from the second monitor. When the samsung is connected it forces the dell #2 to be at a lower resolution, and it looks terrible. Is there some kind of program so i can have the dell using 1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 900. I would just have the samsung be extended but then the tv wont connect unless i unplug the samsung every time i go to use the tv,

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
What is your GPU?

I do not know a lot about this, as I only recently bumped in to it. But on my AMD computer (HTPC), I have an old 1280x1024 display mirroring a 1920x1080 projector. It let me do this after setting the GPU drivers to do the display scaling on the GPU rather than display (the default is on the display) after that, setting the two displays to duplicate, having the higher resolution one selected when set, allowed me to keep the projector at FHD, and the smaller screen got a scaled down copy. (Obviously black bars above and below on the low res screen, but I can see what is happening on the projector now without needing to have it on or peering out from the rack)

**discovered this just before leaving home for a bit. I didn't get a chance to actually test with both displays on. There is no grantee what i say here is correct**

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Its am nvidia geforce 750ti. [strike]There is no option in the nvidia control panel to select resolution just colors and such.[/strike] Actually there is but it wont let me go above the samsung monitors resolution.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
Well i just tried to do the same with my laptop and a TV and didn't have any success. This may not be possible with Nvidia cards or some weird combo happened that let my HTPC do it that isn't happening here. I was testing with the internal display at lower resolution and TV over HDMI at higher. My HTPC has the lower resolution screen on a VGA cable and the projector on HDMI. I cannot do any further testing for a while. Sorry for not being able to solve this.

Tangent...
It may be possible for you to set a custom super resolution, similar to what some people do for higher than native resolution gaming, to achieve this, however I don’t know if that will work on the desktop like you need.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Well i now just have the samsung as a extended monitor, i got the tv to connect but when i disconnect my first dell monitor (the one the tv is mirroring) disconnects as well. Its a bit annoying but i guess i can just deal with the samsung being extended and having to reconnect the first dell whenever i use my tv.
Thanks for trying.

Sep 14, 2019
mac can do it, you can mirror the same image to two different res and two different refresh rates, however on windows poop 7 you can merely extend the display to a homogeneously different display. does anyone know of a windows driver to do the same thing as the mac? help and respond as soon as possible please.