Installing Windows 10 Using Bootable USB

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi Folks,

I just have a few minor questions regarding installing Windows OS using a usb drive. This is my first time doing it and when I checked some forums yesterday, some of the info confuses me:

1. What should be the format of my USB? fat32 or ntfs? I checked several tutorials and some says it should be fat32, others said it should be ntfs. What's the difference between the two? (I followed the fat32 format yesterday)

2. I got a copy of windows 10 ISO from a friend. After formatting my USB I copied the file in it and restarted my computer. I changed my boot priority in the BIOS but I think my PC skipped in booting my USB. I even tried to force start my USB in the BIOS and after a few seconds, it boots my OS again. I just copied the whole ISO file in the USB. Do I need to extract the contents of the ISO file and copy it in the USB?

Also, is there any important keypoints that I should take note or remember?

Thanks in advance

Solution

If it was from msdn or made with the media creation tool, you are fine. If not, it depends on whether he knows what he's doing.

Also, if your PC is less than 5 years old make sure you enable UEFI boot mode and secure boot in the BIOS and make the usb stick using "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" in Rufus.

Happy installing!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yes you need to do more than simply copy the iso file. you need to use a program like poweriso to create the usb disk. there are many others as well that do this.

rufus is another popular choice https://rufus.akeo.ie/ it'll do it all for you and make sure it is bootable, then it will install easy enough.

If it was from msdn or made with the media creation tool, you are fine. If not, it depends on whether he knows what he's doing.

Also, if your PC is less than 5 years old make sure you enable UEFI boot mode and secure boot in the BIOS and make the usb stick using "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" in Rufus.

Happy installing!

Solution