An Affordable (Ish) Custom PC

Grikken

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Hello PC builders! I'm looking into building a rig in a few months, and wanted some expert opinions on my current Build. I have on my list an Intel 6th generation quad-core Skylake CPU, a Gigabyte Motherboard, A Corsair case, Seasonic PSU, Samsung SSD, Some Kingston HyperX Fury RAM, two case fans, and an affordable graphics card. will mostly be doing video editing, some occasional photo editing, ,graphic design, and very rarely some light games. My processor is not a "K" version, so the stock fan should do, right? I won't be doing anything 4K by the way. I want you guys to let me know if everything I have here works, and will suit my needs. You all have experience. (This WILL be my first build) I know you all will want the "exact" specs of everything; you can view the parts here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kMM8RB Thank you all for helping me out here! I'm new to this,so anything you can let me know would be helpful! Have a great day.

Blaise170

Honorable
I agree, I'd go with a motherboard that isn't quite as high-tier and instead put that into RAM and perhaps graphics card depending on the rendering you are doing. For highly parallel calculations, a better GPU will give you more performance gain over a better CPU.

Grikken

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

Thanks Radeon. I really like the H170, it's like the Z170 but smaller. That will give me another 50$ for RAM. Do I really need 16GB? Will I utilize all of that while video editing? Or will I need a better GPU? (By the way, I won't be doing any 3D rendering)
Thanks

in case of video editing, it will utilize all the ram you have. which speeding up your wok for seconds or minutes depends on what you are doing

I did some video editing in the past, I went for 16GB from 8GB and I notice the difference in my work

and another tips is using two SSD, each for source files and render destination folder