13 hours windows defender scan at %3

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I have a ~$2K PC w/ W8.1, and full scans with defender usually take about 5 mins. All of a sudden it takes 13 hours scanning and the completion bar is only at like %3. The # of files scanned keeps going up but I eventually canceled the 13 hour scan because I wanted to try reinstalling Spybot because I read other antivirus programs such as spybot might be interfering with defender all of a sudden even though I have never had a problem with both running for many years. Spybot was still scanning in normal time, about 8 mins for a full scan. Defender can still do a quick scan in like 13 seconds.
I uninstalled Spybot and Defender is even worse. It froze at # of items scanned:1.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
well, I scanned again and after about 15 hours this time, it finally finished. And now it does a full scan in just about 8 minutes again.

But I poked around in Defender and found something startling. I have never once scanned and it said it found anything or had any popups that it found anything, but when I checked All Detected Items, it showed about 8 Severe "Exploit" items. I should have written then down but I just "removed" them. And these were from only a few weeks ago to about a week ago.

I made a new thread wondering about that situation but if anyone else has this long scan problem, I just let it run for ~15 hours and it completed.

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

That's why i suggested safe mode and scan, felt that it was viruses slowing it and scanning whilst in safe mode can disable the virus and remove it faster