Hi - I have an Acer netbook which did have windows 7 on it. The hard drive failed & I replaced it, but the windows 7 operating

Solution

Unsure whether that 'upgrade' key will work to activate a new WIn 10 install.
A regular license, either Retail or OEM will, but I don't know about the upgrade license.

The only way to know is to try it.
Obtain the Win 10 install here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Create your USB install media
Install the OS, and see if it activates with that license. It might, it might...

USAFRet

Titan

On the original (now dead) HDD, there was a factory reset partition.
There was also a function to create your own DVD for the factory reset, in the event the actual hard drive died. As seems to be the case here. When the laptop was brand new, it prompted you to create that DVD. Sadly, almost no one does this.

So, you don't have the drive, OR the factory reset DVD.

Is the sticker with the license key still on the bottom and readable?
If not, contact Acer. They will probably send you that DVD. But it will probably cost a few $$$.

lekyspain

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Since there is no dvd drive, it wasn't possible to make a DVD for factory reset. No dvd came with the netbook. The sticker is still on the bottom, but most of the key is rubbed off. Acer wanted a high price to send me a dvd, but then I would need to transfer to a USB to put into netbook. As I said, I still have the upgrade key to Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I use this with a downloaded version of windows 10 to get back to a windows operating system?

lekyspain

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
The original netbook came with windows 7 basic. An anytime upgrade key to windows 7 Home Premium was supplied as a gift with the purchase. This was installed soon after purchase. I still have the box together with the update key, but no original version of windows 7 or product key. It now has new harddrive with Linux mint installed.

USAFRet

Titan

Unsure whether that 'upgrade' key will work to activate a new WIn 10 install.
A regular license, either Retail or OEM will, but I don't know about the upgrade license.

The only way to know is to try it.
Obtain the Win 10 install here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Create your USB install media
Install the OS, and see if it activates with that license. It might, it might not.
It might involve a call to MS.

Solution