Specs:
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: i7 4790K
Ram: 8 GB
Motherboard: MSI Z97
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 Gold
SSD: 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD: 1 TB st1000dm003-1er162

My PC has been running extremely slow all of a sudden for a couple days. Everything is running slow. Rainmeter lags, long load times, games run at 15 - 20 FPS, the internet is very slow, etc. To find out if it was a software problem I performed a clean startup and it was in fact a software problem. I managed to pinpoint the program causing the problem, but it happens to be "Power" by Microsoft. I can't just disable because well... It is the thing that allows me to use the internet. Anyone know how to fix this?

Dat_Chrizma

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016

I've already done a malware bytes scan before. When I go into msconfig and click hide all microsoft services it went away. When disabling it and restarting the PC it disables internet. Here is a screenshot of it http://imgur.com/Z72qpD0

Dat_Chrizma

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016

I did a clean startup and started disabling the services in groups and restarting until I was down to one which was Power. I restarted my PC multiple times, and whenever it started up without that service it would run normal, but whenever I started with the service enabled everything would slow down a ton.

USAFRet

Titan

Seeing as that service is running on 95%+ of all Windows PC's without issue...
...either yours is corrupted, or there is a different problem.

Dat_Chrizma

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016

I know it is required and I know it is running on almost all PC's without a problem. How would I find out / fix a corrupted service? My computer was running fine a few days ago then it just slowed down massively. This is the only program I have found that could be causing this. When I only had this activated my computer was very slow. When a I had everything but this activated my computer was back to normal.

Dat_Chrizma

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016

I performed a clean startup and started disabling the services in groups and restarting until I was down to one service .This service was Power. When I had everything activated my computer was slow. When I only had Power activated my computer was also slow. When a I had everything except Power activated my computer was back to normal.

Dat_Chrizma

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016

Thank You! For some reason my cpu was set to use a maximum of 5% and that was slowing down my computer!