Best Cooling (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
I'd like to see how the intel stock cooler does when tested compared to these so we can see if an after-market cooler is even needed. I think it would be a interesting baseline maybe even figure out a way to have an intel vs AMD OEM cooler showdown. That might get the fans worked up. (pun intended)

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I'd like to see how the intel stock cooler does when tested compared to these so we can see if an after-market cooler is even needed. I think it would be a interesting baseline maybe even figure out a way to have an intel vs AMD OEM cooler showdown. That might get the fans worked up. (pun intended)

Articles over at techpowerup.com usually include the intel stock cooler comparing to reviewed CPU coolers. Most of the time it causes thermal throttling on any overclocked chip.

I have used many of the self-contained liquid cooling solutions out there. The thing I've noticed about them is on the plus side they make everything accessible on the mother board. They don't block RAM slots and they don't cut your hand when you try to work around them in the case. They keep an extremely "clean" look to the build. They allow the use of high-profile (potentially higher-over-clockable) RAM. On the minus side, I haven't found one that is quieter than my NH-D15. There is a misconception out there that these self-contained liquid cooling solutions are quieter. They definitely are not. All I have used from various manufacturers are loud as heck even with a custom fan setup because they seem to have to spin at a higher rate to keep things cool.

On the other hand, if I want to change the RAM out my system with the NH-D15, I have to take my cooler apart to some extent.

Tony Casagrande

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Any chance to get Cryorig to send some review samples.

This. I'm not sure the Deepcool Gammaxx could even hold its own against the relatively small M9i/a (currently $20 at Newegg) much less the H7 (currently $35 at Newegg).

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I have used many of the self-contained liquid cooling solutions out there. The thing I've noticed about them is on the plus side they make everything accessible on the mother board. They don't block RAM slots and they don't cut your hand when you try to work around them in the case. They keep an extremely "clean" look to the build. They allow the use of high-profile (potentially higher-over-clockable) RAM. On the minus side, I haven't found one that is quieter than my NH-D15. There is a misconception out there that these self-contained liquid cooling solutions are quieter. They definitely are not. All I have used from various manufacturers are loud as heck even with a custom fan setup because they seem to have to spin at a higher rate to keep things cool.

On the other hand, if I want to change the RAM out my system with the NH-D15, I have to take my cooler apart to some extent.

It's not so much as the fan config on a liquid cooling setup, but the built in pump that adds noise. The fans are fans and would create the same amount of noise whether they are on a heatsink or with a radiator.

Fans will be fans, but in my 21C/70F environment, given the same Phantom 630 case, the fans on the rads of my self-contained liquid-cooled setup's (and I've tried many) fans always needed to run at higher rates than the fans on the fins of my NH-D15 creating a much noisier system on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.