Administrator can't open folders in C:\Users

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Hello! I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and activated the Administrator account. When I logged in that account, to my surprise, I couldn't open any folders in the C:\Users other than the Administrator and Public folders. I believe in Windows 7, Administrator can open any folders in C:\Users.

What change(s) do I need to make to make the Administrator able to open other folders in C:\Users? I checked the security tab and Administrators indeed have the full control of every folder there. Thanks.

Solution
Administrator account is not the owner of that directory. You can take ownership via the takeown.exe command but be forewarned you can not give ownership back. When you take ownership it will remove access from the previous owner. Ie if the owner was a internal windows account then it will no longer have access. Most people end up reinstalling after they take ownership of a system owned directory.
Administrator account is not the owner of that directory. You can take ownership via the takeown.exe command but be forewarned you can not give ownership back. When you take ownership it will remove access from the previous owner. Ie if the owner was a internal windows account then it will no longer have access. Most people end up reinstalling after they take ownership of a system owned directory.

Solution