inaccessible boot device after clean install, only boots with usb plugged in

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I have tried multiple times to clean install windows 10. Each time formatting my partitions before installing windows 10. When it finish's installing i will actually get to the desktop of windows 10 but as soon as i pull out my bootable usb and restart it gives me the inaccessible boot device error. I dont know what to do to fix this. can someone please help.

Solution
The only thing i found close to this was 9 years ago: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-boot-or-install-but-linux-will.69402/

try resetting the bios to defaults. it might be mixed up somewhere

your logic is correct, I am just running low on answers. Maybe if Western Digital comment they might have a better idea.

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Can't take it to Dell bought it here on overseas on a military post.
Don't think it is a harddrive issue cause i was able to install ubuntu and run it without usb drive.
Ive remade a bootable usb 3 times now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So can you get to desktop or it only loads the installer?

I wonder what it would do if you ran a reset

Boot from USB and after the page asking for languages, select repair this pc, not install
select reset this pc
since its empty anyway, select wipe all and windows will restart and reinstall win 10 - remove usb while it installs

if that doesn't help, restart using USB and using same steps as before, go into the repair screen and select troubleshoot
Select advanced
Select command prompt
Run these two commands - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

when i try to reset it some thing went wrong. and when i try to reset and keep files it says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

At which point should i remove the usb drive?

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

When i Get to the list disk step it says "There are no fixed disks to display"

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think its the hard drive.

You can only do so much and reinstalling doesn't fix it on this hdd as it won't boot after install.

its under warranty, might need to contact dell and arrange a replacement be sent to you.

i will add a tag and see what the WD guys say... I don't know which company dell uses in its machines.

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

But if I could install ubuntu and run it off the hdd wouldnt that rule out the hdd as a issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only thing i found close to this was 9 years ago: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-boot-or-install-but-linux-will.69402/

try resetting the bios to defaults. it might be mixed up somewhere

your logic is correct, I am just running low on answers. Maybe if Western Digital comment they might have a better idea.

Solution

Dekadrachm

Commendable
May 13, 2016

It seems to be an error with the R3 model, this is the second time I've seen the error online relating to the R3. I my self have this error, exactly how it had been reacting, I even put Ubuntu on it.