2nd Hand PC Changing motherboard

Philip_26

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello, ive had this pc for around 3 months and its running Windows 10, im going to upgrade my motherboard and cpu (currently running amd 6800k), im upgrading to an Intel i5 4690k. The questions im asking is will i need to re-install windows(i dont have a disc to install it) and because i bought this pc from someone will i technically own this version if windows? I dont have a product key, what are the steps i would need to do to successfully carry this out?

Blaise170

Honorable
You can use software such as KeyFinder by Magical Jelly Bean to find the product key. I'm not a legal professional, but as far as I recall, once the motherboard became your property, rights to the OEM key also transferred to you since you are in possession of the hardware. In the past, you could request a new key from Microsoft if you changed your motherboard but I'm not sure if this is still possible. You should ask MS what you should do. In general, you won't need to reinstall Windows since you aren't changing HDD, but you may have a few incompatible drivers.

Philip_26

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Okay thank you, ive seen some videos on what the appropriate drivers to uninstall are but not sure on my OS, Im just worried ill go to all the effort of putting in the new motherboard and then get a notice that i cant use windows.

Philip_26

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
yeah i hope so, if they wont what would you suggest? personally i dont want to pay the money for windows OS