Dual Monitors on Dell Inspiron 3656 w/Windows 10

BamaWolfie

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I tried posting this on the Dell forums... and four days later... ZERO ASSISTANCE. :(

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 3656 with an AMD Radeon HD R9 video card. I set it up, I've hooked up both monitors, but it doesn't see that there is a second (VGA) monitor hooked up (Windows 10). I also do not see an option for dual monitors in the BIOS... help? Advice, suggestions, instructions?

I need dual monitors for contract work I do at home. :(

Solution
Curiouser and curiouser. Sorry it did not work, and I hope that you can get a refund on the cable. It is typical for on-board graphics to be disabled when a discrete graphics card is inserted, but that card is supposed to support three monitors if you have the right connections. If'n I were near there I could take a look at it; this is strange.

You could always get a new graphics card for $50 and enable multiple displays. If you don't do gaming, so fast response time and high frame rates are not important to you, you could get a USB to DVI adapter (these have external power) and attach a monitor indirectly to a USB port. For "productivity" that should work just fine. I've done it for professional programming.
The dual monitors are not set up in Bios, but in Windows. With the Display Settings, which can be accessed by right-clicking anywhere on an empty part of the desktop and selecting Display Properties. You should be able to Detect displays, click on the new one, and select to Extend the desktop onto it.

BamaWolfie

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Wyoming, I did do that... it won't even detect the monitor (in face, I've tried TWO Dell monitors). Both monitors say "no input received". The issue (I'm pretty sure) is with the on-board VGA... either not being hooked up or the driver isn't working. Per Dell, I ran the Intel driver utility and it says everything is just great.... and as other message boards suggested, I checked the BIOS to see if I could change it there (I can't, there's no option).

Soooo... I'm stuck with Dell customer support. >.<

Thank you for posting an answer, Wyoming. I REALLY appreciate it! It's more response than I got on the Dell support forum. :(

I bought a Dell in 2005 and it was awesome. In fact, it's the one being replaced by what I just bought. I loved my 2005 Dell (and it's till running, but starting to have some issues...) but I am so not happy with the new one so far.

Curiouser and curiouser. Sorry it did not work, and I hope that you can get a refund on the cable. It is typical for on-board graphics to be disabled when a discrete graphics card is inserted, but that card is supposed to support three monitors if you have the right connections. If'n I were near there I could take a look at it; this is strange.

You could always get a new graphics card for $50 and enable multiple displays. If you don't do gaming, so fast response time and high frame rates are not important to you, you could get a USB to DVI adapter (these have external power) and attach a monitor indirectly to a USB port. For "productivity" that should work just fine. I've done it for professional programming.

Solution