start button, searching. Not all apps/control panel apps show

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I just noticed the other day my searching has not been working correctly.
I have some apps like word, excel and HxD that show up as soon as I start typing their names out.
Others wont like Folder Size, Acronis Disk Director. And now I've noticed windows features like "Set up usb game controllers" this one is hit or miss. I can type usb, game, etc, nothing. 10 minutes later it will come up.
Any idea what is the cause and how i can have this searching correctly again?

tomnewdelhi

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
do you find that if you press the windows key and then type what you are looking for, its sometimes theres, sometimes not?

I have found that if the latter is the case, just "log out" of windows and then back in again, even if you are the only account on windows it seems to work for me and is the only workaround that works for me.

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

I did have indexing disabled since I was on an SSD. I would understand if this stopped everything, but why a mix of behaviors? Also indexing or not, shouldnt installed Programs always come up? It did in Win7 when I had indexing disabled as well.

No difference. even less. The few apps I know that would show up weren't at all.

No difference. rebooted, log off, log into a different account, the same.

I'm wondering if this install got jacked up. Like the family account settings, it always errors when I try to go in and add my wifes Windows account.

TheGlow

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

That seems to have done it. Very odd as I had upgraded to a different cpu/mobo but kept my OS install. I think then I did tweaks like disable the indexing. However some stuff I had prior to the swap still showed and some stuff installed after.
Some just downloaded apps, others were built in Windows features. Very awkward.
Now if only I can get the Users/Add family member feature to load.