PC Freezes after CPU stress test with Prime95

frixy

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
First of all hello to the whole community!

Like my title says I came here because I am having trouble with my PC freeze while doing a stress test on the CPU with Prime95, but I will try to be short and tell all necessary information.

So I bought a new CPU and GPU, put it into my Desktop PC and tried to run some stress tests, after a while I got into trouble while stress testing my CPU, it always randomly freezes, another very important information is that always when I ran the test, Prime95 got a false result from two(always random two) cores and disabled them after 2~3 min into the test. So here is everything I could found out:

- Is the freeze because of the overheating?
Could not be, I have water cooling system and while preforming the test my CPUs maximum heat was from 62~64 degree before freeze, I don't think that's the case.
- Why does it disable two of your cores?
I googled a bit the error Prime95 gives me and what I found out is that its two possibility's, 1st) those two cores are destroyed, but that's not my case because if they would be it would be always the same cores, but after several tests it were always different cores that were disabled. 2nd) The core returns a failed calculation back and Prime95 sees that error and says the core is bad, why? people with similar problems say its because the Core does not have enough voltage to calculate, for my specific processor the normal core voltage is around 1,6~1.8 (if I googled correctly). But from the monitoring tools and the maximum what I can put in BIOS, it is 1.4, which could be why the failed calculation comes trough. The solution for this problem was kinda not clear, it could be because of the motherboard being too old or PSU not strong enough. So I don't know.
- What did I try to fix?
1)In my BIOS give more voltage to the processor but I cant. It seems like it already has the maximum
2)For Temporary Fix I Disabled two of my cores in BIOS and it works normally.
- Did you try to run the stress test with 2 less cores?
Yes and the Prime95 came trough the whole stress test without problem with maximum of 59 degrees. For now I am using this fix to do all my stuff on my pc but this is only temporary. So I seek help.

So what I kinda came up with is that it might be the motherboard being to old or the PSU working really at the edge and when stress testing its just too much for him. But I am not sure, so pleas if anyone can help me that would be amazing :)

Here is my PC:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-9590 4700 Mhz (8 cores)
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 R2.0 (Socket 942)
Graphics
VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
2070W (1600x900@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 ATA Device (SATA)
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device (SSD)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU-Power
700W

Have many thanks to anyone trying to help :)

Yes it is overheating [probably the motherboard , but maybe also the cpu] and the solution is pretty simple: stop running prime95

Since the cpu is not even on the motherboards cpu support list I think you are lucky it runs

frixy

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

I am checking all heats and if it would be because of the heat the stress test with two less cores would not go trough too dont you think? If the freezes are random, it kinda points out its not the heat..
So what youre suggesting is a new motherboard or what?

TRENDING THREADS