Best Free/Paid Anvirus for Win 10?

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Soo ive always used free avast, just the 3 main shields, customized the install of course cuz it installs soo much stuff by default. then used free malwarebytes once a week for full system cleaning. (non-on demand)

while i was at microcenter getting my processor the sales rep went through a speech of "well what antivirus are you using"? i told him avast and he proceeded to tell me why eset smart security or one of nod32 flavors was lighter on system resources because avast uses all my "cores" lol. he said if i bundle it with my cpu id get a good 2 year deal. i politely declined and also declined to bundle a motherboard as i had already found a great deal on newegg for one that was already $20 off.

So it got me thinking, for windows 10 what are peoples experiences with system resources and antivirus/malware ect programs? Not taking into account what privacy/services you may or may not have stopped yourself. (Anti-Beacon)

Thanks!

Solution
I've slowly gotten away from AV solutions. Reason being that even with up to date definitions, you're still going to have something come through.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes; but if they notify me I use Rollback Rx to just restore my entire system. It's not for everyone but I only really need these AV programs to tell me that there's an issue. Rollback can handle the rest :)

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

i have a love/hate relationship with windows period i think. i use windows 10, but turn of windows defender(the best one can in windows 10) and proceed to make my privacy as discrete as possible.

I will look into more on how much information directly goes to microsoft from defender versus 3rd party from avast. (you do have an option to not participate or send data for the latter though)

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hmmmmm? Who knows better on how to protect Windows better than Microsoft? Maybe someone who just wants your money. Defender>Malwarebytes Premium>Superantispyware pro all on auto and don't ever have a problem on three machines getting a lot of use.
W.P.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

no conflicts with all that running with the on demand stuff?

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Nope. A/V and anti malware programs don't conflict. A/V and A/V do though. Running that way for at least 8 years problem free and the machines are as fast as they always are and have been. A properly configured browser helps too. I use Opera because I like and know it.
W.P.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

lol well played.

ive yet to have any problems with my free avast, windows firewall, and free malwarebytes so i guess if it any broke dont fix it

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Crap!
I was ranting about AVG in an early post and I meant AVAST.. Oops.. Anyway..
AVAST and MalewareBytes all the way for me..
Lost HD's using all other scanners except AVAST..

And Yuck on Windows 10.. I installed it on a VM just to have it to learn so I could help my niece with it since she installed it like a doom cough..

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I've slowly gotten away from AV solutions. Reason being that even with up to date definitions, you're still going to have something come through.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes; but if they notify me I use Rollback Rx to just restore my entire system. It's not for everyone but I only really need these AV programs to tell me that there's an issue. Rollback can handle the rest :)

Solution

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

u use free malwarebytes?

will have to look at rollbackrx, i know windows 8/8.1 had customwindowsimg but not in 10

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Yeah I use the free solution.

Do check out Rollback. I've used it for a variety of purposes and it's starting to become the swiss army knife of my machine.

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

i will do so it a little bit!