1st build: can't connect to panasonic plasma tv

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hey guys, I did something not smart and am looking for some help. After years of waiting, I finally pulled the trigger on buying a PC for use in the living room as a steambox alternative. I didn't think to check the display compatibility with my television and I can't get it to recognize my computer. The television just says "no signal." I went from elated about my first built to despair pretty quickly. Right now I have the computer hooked up to a computer monitor via hdmi.

Computer details
*Video card: EVGA Geforce GTX970
*Processor: I7-6700
*Motherboard: GA-H110N

Television details
*Type: Panasonic SMART VIERA® 50" Class S60 Series Full HD Plasma
*Model: TV TC-P50S60
*Link to owner's manual: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/om/tc-p42s60_en_om.pdf

What I've already tried
*Testing the computer with another monitor. I can connect the pc to a monitor via hdmi no problem.
*I've tested each hdmi port on the television with the card (it was on the right tv input too). I also tried the motherboard hdmi port but I don't think that does anything anyway.
*I've tested multiple hdmi cables.
*Other hdmi devices (xbox, cable box) work with the television.
*I talked to the tech who built it. He didn't have any suggestions, unfortunately
*I called EVGA tech support. Their tech said it was a TV problem and suggested I call panasonic. He suggested I try to get the EDID, which I haven't been able to do.
*I have chatted online with panasonic tech support but haven't been able to call yet. Their tech said the tv isn't guaranteed to connect with any pc and said he couldn't help with the edid.
*I've tried changing the display options on the computer to see if that would help the tv recognize it. I've tried 1920 by 1080 at 50, 59 and 50 hertz.
*I searched the forms here before I posted. I am new to the site and am sorry if this has been answered and I missed it.
*I Googled. I found a few other people that seem to be using this model as a monitor but couldn't find any troubleshooting or similar issues. But it was very encouraging that other people seem to have it working.

Things I havent tried but can
*Call panasonic tech support and see if I have better luck
*connect my laptop to the tv
*Tried panasonic's viera link tech on the television. I'm not sure if I can use that to stream or not but really would prefer a hard connection.

I'm also interested in any other workarounds. I would really love to hard wire it via hdmi but would also appreciate suggestions other than buying a new TV. Are there any other recommended ways to stream or link a desktop to a hdtv? Steam link maybe?
And it's very possible that I botched one of the troubleshooting steps above or that I missed a very simple fix somewhere along the way. Thank you for your time and any help would be very very very appreciated.

I have a similar Panasonic tv and I had these problems to. For me 1 thing worked and that was to hook my pc up to another monitor set the resolution to 800*600 and then connect it to the tv. Then once the signal came through I changed the resolution back to what it needed to be and it worked. No clue why but it just worked.

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply! I only have the computer and cable box hooked up to the tv.

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Chaning it to 800*600 didn't work, unfortunately. I'm going into advanced settings and "list all modes" to change the resolution. The video card has it's own settings but i haven't tinkered with those.

Try this. Connect your computer to the Tv and a secondary monitor. This way you will have 1 screen where you are able to see what you are doing. Next you open the nvidia control panel and then go to the monitor options. Once in there try to fiddle around with some settings in the control panel(make sure you are changing the tv's settings in the control panel and not the other monitor). You may then be able to get a signal through.

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Ok, so I didnt realize I had a VGA adapter so I have both the monitor and the TV connected. Monitor by VGA and TV by HDMI. The good news is both the computer settings and the NVIDA settings recognize the television as "Panasonic TV." The bad news is I've tried multiple different resolutions, different hz, and several reboots (all with the tv, not my monitor) but still no signal. Are there any resolution/hz that I should be trying first?
I also talked to two more techs . One suggested reinstalling video card drivers to test if it's a hdmi audio issue. The other suggested trying a hdmi 2.0 cable and a dvi to hdmi cable to the television.
The computer recognizing the television is very encouraging.

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Ok, so I talked to the Panasonic tech and he sent me a list of resolutions that the TV can receive. They are below

Resolution Settings:

Input Signal Vertical Frequency (hz)

525 (480)/60i 54.94/60.0
525 (480)/60p 54.94/60.0
750 (720)/60p 54.94/60.0
1,125 (1080)60i 54.94/60.0
1,125 (1080)/60p 54.94/60.0
1,125 (1080)/24p 23.98/24.0

Reinstalling the graphics drivers can't hurt. But do this while the tv is plugged in. The HDMI 2.0 cable is not needed because the TV will just treat it like an 1.3 cable because it doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 port. Also normally in the Panasonic TV's (depending on the age) you should have something called Viera link. This may be causing interference because it is supposed to refine incoming signals or something like that. Try turning that off.

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

It does have Viera link so I turned that off. It still doesn't work but I'm going to run through some of the other things while it's off to see if that makes a difference. And I'll try to reinstall the drivers later. Thanks again for the help!

TexasTide

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Update: Still no luck. I have viera link turned off. I tried two different older sets of nvidia drivers. I also tried hooking up my laptop to the television and it works instantly. The output from the laptop to tv is 1600 by 900. I tried that resolution with the new pc to the tv but it didnt work. Another tech suggested a DVI to HDMI converter so I'm going to try that.