Strange copying files dialog box

nominalismus

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hi,

So I saw a similar thread to this from a couple of years ago, but it didn't really resolve much--just offer up that what's going on might have been a virus or (apparently more likely) some task updating something in my computer.
Nonetheless, it's kind of odd and worrying me. I was working in Word when a dialog box saying "copying files" appeared in the upper left corner of the screen with a loading bar. Then it disappeared. I checked the processes running on my computer in the task manager, but nothing was out of the usual or unidentifiable.
I ran virus scans (I use avast! and Malwarebytes) and everything came up clean, but I don't know as much about computers as I could and I just want to know if this is something I should be on guard about.

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The post i think you are referring to mentioned it was a work pc.

Does it only happen when you are using Word?? What version of word?

The background task thing is probably right, I suspect its associated with word itself. It might be updating itself or you may have it set to save a copy of documents or pictures/images attached to your current word file. I haven't seen it myself but as its so infrequently reported, it might be just an obscure setting.

nominalismus

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
So far it hasn't happened again--but I haven't really been on my computer (and haven't been in Word) since I posted the thread.
I'm using Word 2013 and I'm going to run another set of virus scans (I mean, I do that every day anyways, so no big difference there).
I was also wondering if it might, possibly, have something to do with the size of the word document (which might be a ridiculous association to make, but the document is about 4300 pgs).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have auto save set? 4k pages, that is a big document there. Biggest I have is 114 pages lol. I hope you have backups.

I had 2013 but I also had a new subscription to 365 so got chance to upgrade to 2016 last year, They fixed a few bugs people had been complaining about for years.

nominalismus

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
I do have auto save set. Could that be what's going on?
It's a big project--one part dissertation, one part novel. And I have many backups (mozy for the win, right?).
I've been thinking about 365, but I wasn't sure how good it was.