Can't keep i5 4670 cool (disappointed with Intel)

beetleman20

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Had my build for 2.5 years, didn't really bother checking on the CPU temps, since I had a core i5 4670 non k version with stock cooling. No overclock, nothing could possibly go wrong with that eh? No, I am totally wrong! Somehow Intel fked up with the the i5 4670 with stock cooling. Recently I am quite curious how my CPU is doing with the temp, since it's been over 2 years since I had my build. If the temp is a bit high, I might do some cleaning etc. When I checked the core temp, I was blown away.

With stock cooling, 20 degrees ambient temperature, the CPU is doing 70 degrees on just 40% load, and easily 80 degrees on 50% load. Try running prime95, got to 90 in a few second, and after running for 3 minutes it reached 100 degrees celcius. No, it's not a mistake, 100 degrees on one of the cores, and close to 100 on the other 3. Good thing is, my PC did not crash or did anything weird. Bad thing is, after changing the thermal paste and putting back the stock cooler (hoping it was a loose heat sink which caused the problem), the temperature remained that high.

My case isn't well ventilated, but my GPU is running perfectly fine at 60 degrees on max load. (Inno3D iChill, When I first bought it it never went up 54 degrees on max load)

After a few days, I bought a Thermalright AXP-200, that cooler cost 1/3 price of that of the i5 4670. Internet reviews shown that it could keep an i7 3770k under 50 degrees full load. After installing the new fan, boom, the temperature went down to 50 degrees on half cpu load, and 70 degrees on full load (with prime95). But seriously Intel, a non k version haswell CPU with a 75 buck aftermarket cooler can't even keep the damn CPU under 60 degrees on full load?

No wonder Intel released the Haswell-E refresh. I am disappointed.

Tens of millions of people use the stock cooler every day. 80c is no problem for these chips, but it sounds like there might have been some problem with yours - 100c should not happen at stock clocks on a 4670 non-K, even with Intel's stock cooler.

One thing that's important to consider is that AMD and Intel measure their temperatures differently. If AMD's sensor says "40c", while Intel's says "70c", but AMD's sensor is not near the hottest part of the CPU, it's a pretty meaningless comparison.

I don't think it was necessary to buy a $75 cooler. You probably could've brown temperatures down to a reasonable level with a $15 unit, or even replaced your stock cooler with a non-defective one (assuming it is defective) with a $5 replacement on eBay.

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
You obviously have some sort of problem with your stock cooler or installation

Did you have the fan set to automatic in the BIOS so it spins faster as the temp goes up?

The stock fan shouldn't let a chip go above 80c even a much more powerful 4790k on stock settings

beetleman20

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Used Asus AI Suite to force the fan to spin at maximum. The max rpm is about 2.2k. It didn't help a bit. It should have nothing to do with the stock cooler. Even if the stock cooler is faulty, the aftermarket cooler should bring it down under 60 degrees on load, but now it is still 70ish on full load with prime. Some people overclock CPU up to 4.5 Ghz and still manage only 70 on load, but that CPU is just a non k version which turbos up to 3.8.

beetleman20

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

If the stock cooler was faulty, the aftermarket cooler should be capable of bringing the max temp down to 60, but it still stays around 70ish on full load. That shouldn't happen with a non overclocked 3.8Ghz CPU, not when people overclock their i7 to 4.5 and still manage 70 degrees on full load. Something is wrong with the CPU itself.

Have seen a thread somewhere with similar case. Stock cooler on a 4670, with prime it just shoots up to 100 degrees in a few minutes on core temp.

My friend's i5 4590 on stock cooler goes max to 75 with prime running. That's a haswell E refresh model.

I don't see the problem.

Why do you think you should get 60c under load, when Intel does not throttle the CPU until 100c, and warranties the CPU to run for years at that temperature? They built the chip, after all, and it seems pretty arbitrary that you want it to run 40c below its maximum temperature.

And anyway, "Some people overclock CPU up to 4.5 Ghz and still manage only 70 on load, but that CPU is just a non k version which turbos up to 3.8." -> does that not suggest that, since other people are not having problems with Haswell, that this is something particular to your setup, such as case airflow?

70°C when running Prime95 28.5 or newer Small FFTs is outstanding; nothing else will make it that hot. The stock cooler is fine for almost everything, including P95 26.6; few people run the latest version of P95 or an application using the instructions that can get the CPU very hot.

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Intel stock coolers garbage. I was getting 100c with my 4790k, replaced it with an h60 water cooler and max temp at full loaf is 72... still hot but I can take that.

I'm in agreement that Intel's stock cooler is on the verge of being insufficient for a 4790K at stock clocks, especially if a motherboard has multicore enhancement, or other auto-overclocking features. Generally speaking, it still keeps that CPU from thermal throttling under normal day-to-day loads, and Intel provides a warranty for a 4790K using the cooler they engineered for it. I have also not heard of any 4790K's dying from overheating. Zero. So, though I would be tempted to get a better cooler for that particular CPU, it would be more because I would use it atypically (stress testing/overclocking), or would want less noise under load, not because the stock cooler is in any way dangerous.