PC not displaying for a while after being turned off

ollieparkes

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
     Hi, im having two maybe related problem with my pc, the first is that part of the computer won't turn off when shutting down, the hdd will stop spinning but all of the fans will stay on, and can only be stopped by holding down the power button.
     The second is is an odd problem where after turning the computer off it wont display anything when booting back up for a time after turning it off. This time is seemingly random (i haven't noticed a trend) and after this time boots fine. When it is booted up during this time it seems to get past post (the beep is there), but there is no display and none of the peripherals light up as they usually do. I have tried displaying from both the graphics card and the onboard and both don't work as well as resetting the cmos.

Thanks
     Ollie Parkes

Specs:
Asrock z77 extreme4
Intel i5 3570k + Coolermaster heat sink
Corsair CX500M
MSI GTX 760
WD blue 1tb HDD
2x Corsar Vengeance 4GB

Solution
It's a glitch and a known error with Asus.. Try resetting BIOS, or if it doesn't work update BIOS, just reflash your bios to the newest one and then reset it using f5. Make sure to backup your data beforehand. Go into windows and hit shutdown... you have to use the power switch it reboots. once the power is off turn off the power supply so the mb power drains and use the clear the cmos jumpers. there a large posting on asus rog forums about this issue and the z77 mb.

Try removing and reinserting the button cell battery that drives the real time clock. I've seen this happen several times, and for some reason this fixes it. Make sure there's no corrosion on battery. If that doesn't work, reseating the RAM is always a good thing to try...

Legion93

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
It's a glitch and a known error with Asus.. Try resetting BIOS, or if it doesn't work update BIOS, just reflash your bios to the newest one and then reset it using f5. Make sure to backup your data beforehand. Go into windows and hit shutdown... you have to use the power switch it reboots. once the power is off turn off the power supply so the mb power drains and use the clear the cmos jumpers. there a large posting on asus rog forums about this issue and the z77 mb.

Try removing and reinserting the button cell battery that drives the real time clock. I've seen this happen several times, and for some reason this fixes it. Make sure there's no corrosion on battery. If that doesn't work, reseating the RAM is always a good thing to try. Also, make sure USB legacy devices in your BIOS is enabled. Save the settings in the BIOS, and exit. Otherwise It's probably an issue with your motherboard.

It might also be a PSU issue, its giving constant power to some components like the fan. Check the power options in BIOS so that the power button shuts the computer down, it might be putting it to sleep. Try also updating your graphics card driver and all other drivers, Windows update etc.

Solution

ollieparkes

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

Thank you so much for the help, the issue with it not turning off is gone and I tried clearing with the jumpers, changing the battery and reseating the ram to no avail (the bios/software was already up to date). Im going to try a few more solutions and if they don't work i'll just get a different board as i've had troubles in the past with this mobo. Thanks again!