This site has been ruined by the adverts. I can no longer use it at work.

takahe

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
I remember how years ago I used to visit Tom's Hardware for valuable advice. Wow, your site has changed. Where once it was easy to use, now it just spams me with ads that keep trying to render in such ways that I scroll down a forum post and the damn add comes in and scrolls me back up! And the unforgivable... video ads WITH SOUND!

Put it this way... you are a tech site yes? You offer tech advice yes?
You presumably therefore might reasonably expect that a tech person like me might use your site when I am at work, in an office yes?

OK. so I go looking for info about a missing driver, or windows update or whatever, and I suddenly find my PC is playing out a video ad on its speaker to the office. The ad is nothing to do with technology, so people in the office wondering if I'm just having a bit of "me time" while I'm being paid to fix stuff.

So what's the answer? Use headphones? What? So I can have your ads played directly into my ears? Well no, I don't think you expect that?

Turn the sound down? What so I cannot hear stuff I actually want to hear? Or perhaps leave some headphones plugged into my PC without wearing them, or just mute my sound card altogether? IN WHICH CASE WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU HAVING SOUND IN YOUR ADS!

NO. What is expected is that I will avoid your site and others that do the same. Which means you get less page presses, which means you lose revenue. So overall, video ads with sound over time will most likely have a negative effect on the revenue stream.

It's a shame but there you go, there are doubtless other sources of info.

On the subject of adverts (this time static rather than video), before posting this message, I searched the forums for others who had the same experience as me. I discovered a few threads from previous years where people had made observations about the way the ads interfere with use of the site. Quite ironic. You'll have to work out what the question being asked was I'm afraid.

So, as a picture is worth a thousand words... here you go!
b7tqekpw7

getridoftheads_jpg.png

Please take a screenshot of these ads and post it here. Registered and logged in users should not see any ads in the forums, adblocker or not. Articles do have ads, but they should not be that intrusive. Any that are a problem, we can get removed.

Have you tried another PC and internet connection? There's plenty of examples of malware injecting ads into web pages, and quite a few of ISPs doing the same.

while i cannot say about the .co.uk version of the site (perhaps our uk mods will comment here), the .com domain is completely ad-free on the forum end of things if you are logged in.

from the looks of things it seems the one ad did not load correctly (looks like it was supposed to be two sidebars. i will agree that on the site main page and when not logged in there are quite a few ads and some unfortunately are pop up or the minefield like text popup style ones. since toms relies on ad revenue and site costs are not cheap its a small price to pay.

as always if there are any ads which are dangerous or terribly annoying please bring them to the attention of titillating (kevin) our community rep. ads get auto-served so if they are to create exclusions they would need to have a screenshot or at least a description of which ad you mean. for example if there is a video ad with sound you may want to bring it to his attention so it can get excluded. or if there is a very annoying pop up style ad you may want to let him know. nice guy and he will best be able to let you know what can be done.

in the short term i would say just stay logged in or use adblock. not logged in using adblock works for 99% of what you see and logged in (at least on .com domain for me) removes them all as well.