Unable to Install Windows 10 using USB Drive

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi Folks,

Can someone help me on my problem?

I downloaded a windows 10 iso this past weekend and created a bootable usb using Rufus app. The USB booted up but when i was on the step wherein i need to choose where will i install the OS, there's an error that says windows cant be installed on that drive because its in MBR partition and it should be on GPT partition. This is my first time installing an OS using a USB drive. I searched forums in the net but the only thing i saw was the differences between MBR and GPT not on how to install windows if I encountered this kind of problem.

My HDD is a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm and my board is an Asus B85M-G which supports UEFI BIOS.

Appreciate your help.

Solution
a blank ssd isn't in any format so it should be fine. Having said that, neither is a HDD with unallocated space.

Have you tried running the install with just the hdd in and not choosing the custom route? it should just install.

The only other thought is your bios is set to legacy boot when it should be UEFI or Auto, that would be only other place windows would be getting info about drive format. In my case, when i had hassles getting pc to accept an install on my ssd, i just turned pc off and tried again later and it worked. If Bios set to auto (instead of UEFI or Legacy) then it just switches over itself. I don't actually know where it is in the Asus UEFI, expect its in the boot menu (hiding in advanced settings)

But the bios...

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
I tried formatting it first before I encounter the error. However, when I clicked on the unallocated space, the "Delete" option is grayed out and so the others. I tried Pressing Windows key+F10 as stated in the tutorial pasted above but the command prompt didn't show up. Should i buy a new hdd to resolve this (though i'm planning to buy an ssd this weekend)

Thanks you so much for your help

Colif

Win 11 Master
You cant delete unallocated space, its at its most basic level anyway. If its all unallocated, just run installer and when you get to that screen you should be able to just hit next. You should not need a new HDD though an SSD is always a nice upgrade, you could then use hdd as storage.

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi Colif,

That's my main problem. It says that my partition is in MBR not GPT, therefore i can't proceed on the installation (all clickable buttons are grayed out). But again, when I tried pressing the Windows+F10 (i followed the link on the tutorial pasted above) to use command prompt, it didnt show up.

So are you saying that all I need to do is buy a new storage device? If I buy the SSD, will I be able to install the Windows 10 w/out any problem?

Colif

Win 11 Master
a blank ssd isn't in any format so it should be fine. Having said that, neither is a HDD with unallocated space.

Have you tried running the install with just the hdd in and not choosing the custom route? it should just install.

The only other thought is your bios is set to legacy boot when it should be UEFI or Auto, that would be only other place windows would be getting info about drive format. In my case, when i had hassles getting pc to accept an install on my ssd, i just turned pc off and tried again later and it worked. If Bios set to auto (instead of UEFI or Legacy) then it just switches over itself. I don't actually know where it is in the Asus UEFI, expect its in the boot menu (hiding in advanced settings)

But the bios setting just controls boot, its got nothing to do with formatting the drive, it just tells bios how to look for the boot drive. In legacy it looks for an mbr, in UEFI it looks for a file name

Solution

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Yes I already did. My BIOS is not set in legacy mode. Whenever I press Delete during POST, it will proceed on the UEFI. Im sorry if Im taking it slow. Its just that its been years since I last did an OS installation and its my first time to use an USB.

Appreciate your help/

Colif

Win 11 Master
don't apologise, its okay. I try not to do them myself... think i only done about 5 in last 10 years :)

You lucky to get an asus to boot off usb at all, mine requires me to change settings for it to even see the usb. I have an optical drive so i use DVD.

Take as much time as you need :)

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Yeah right. My DVD drive was broken 2 months ago thats why i decided to try installing an OS using USB because ever since, i use my dvd to clean install an OS. However, my windows 7 is running almost 3 years now so i decided to clean install windows 10 but i was stucked in the issue i encountered. I'll follow all the tips you guys gave me and will update this thread if it wasn't successful. (y)