Having trouble picking between 2 monitors

LeagueOfBex

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
I'm trying to pick between two monitors since I think it's time to upgrade my old 19" BenQ G900HDA. I don't know whether to get a 24" BenQ GW2455H or 22" BenQ GW2270H (I trust BenQ since this monitor has been awesome for me and I've just heard good things about them overall). They are both VA panels, which I guess is best for me because i don't play games too competitively to want a TN but I still play games so the huge response time of the IPS wouldn't fit me in my opinion. Since both monitors run at 1920x1080, which one would be better for that resolution and which one would be better overall for someone like me that sits all day in front of the PC, sometimes gaming sometimes watching movies/youtube and sometimes programming. I'm running a GTX750 as my GPU.

Solution
now see that gets tough ;)
question is what do you like more, Darks or coulous?
ie. do you want your blacks to be really black or your general colours to be a bit more vibrant?
personally i prefer the PLS, but i always sit in a ambient lighted room, which suits the "colours" aspect more, if you sit in a dark room, no lights, the contrast diff might suit you better on teh Benq
for overall gaming i would prob suggest the samsung, because, PLS does look good in alot of games, but it also has a 30% faster response time
also, like you i love Benq, and their quality is great, but in this case, for me , gaming in a room with ambient light/ light+ the PLS would look better, so i would choose the samsung,
also if you are going from a TN panel...

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
i wouldnt know which 1 to pick of those 2 to be honest, i just prefer "larger" monitors, so my instict would be 24"
but regarding the "huge" response time of IPS, you do know those monitors have a 5ms and 8ms response time? which IPS can also have, or down right beat and be faster

LeagueOfBex

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

True, but the IPS monitors that are cheaper than these 2 have like 12-14ms response time so if I wanted an IPS with less response time I would have to go more expensive which I don't think I will be able to.

EDIT: Just found a 22" S22E390HS Samsung monitor with a PLS panel, 1920 x 1080 resolution and 4ms response time with the price tag being between the 2 BenQ's. Would I be better of with that?

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
true not by BenQ, not in that size in that price range, but there should be a couple of 20" IPS monitors from AOC, Dell and Lenovo i think with a response time in that same area as those above
anyway, i digress
"logic" dictates the GW2455H is "better", because its bigger and more expensive, flicker free, i personally dont like the 8ms response time, even as a casual gamer that seem to start to be in teh high end
and would think the 22" GW2270H's A-MVA+ panel is better than the 24" GW2455H VA
reviews seem to favour the GW2270H too, in that there are not many on GW2455H, not that they are negative

LeagueOfBex

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

Thoughts on the Samsung's PLS panel against the A-MVA+, is it worth the extra ~30 dollars?

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

depends on teh monitor in question, it worta be like asking if AHVA is better than A-MVA,
you cant just compare panel type directly like that, since if its a crap PLS panel, and a super A-MVA then 1 thing, and vice versa is another,
in general samsung PLS seem to be solid

LeagueOfBex

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

Sorry didn't include the monitor I was talking about, it is a 22" S22E390HS Samsung.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
now see that gets tough ;)
question is what do you like more, Darks or coulous?
ie. do you want your blacks to be really black or your general colours to be a bit more vibrant?
personally i prefer the PLS, but i always sit in a ambient lighted room, which suits the "colours" aspect more, if you sit in a dark room, no lights, the contrast diff might suit you better on teh Benq
for overall gaming i would prob suggest the samsung, because, PLS does look good in alot of games, but it also has a 30% faster response time
also, like you i love Benq, and their quality is great, but in this case, for me , gaming in a room with ambient light/ light+ the PLS would look better, so i would choose the samsung,
also if you are going from a TN panel now to the PLS it should be an immediate difference in colour vibrance, in say like Bioshock infinite.
PLS, best in ambient light,
VA best in contrast(i.e. blacks and whites)so best in dark/no light rooms

Solution

LeagueOfBex

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
Alright, definitely gonna take all of this into consideration before buying it, kinda leaning toward the Samsung right now. You definitely helped me a lot, thank you very much!