Random freezes or restarts while playing games

fithyrehab

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
So on a brand new PC I built while playing games I have been coming across a problem where my computer will completely freeze up, but the display stays on frozen where ever I am in the game, with the mouse/keyboard/headphones all turning off (this is only sometimes, sometimes they will stay on) and I'll have to do a hard reset to use my computer again. This can happen with in 20 minutes of gaming or not for days sometimes the PC will just restart but this is rarer.
I thought it could be the graphics card so I RMA'd it and it is still happening, I'm now starting to lean towards a RAM or PSU issue.

Also when I ran the windows diagnostics test for the ram it came back with no errors but then after running for sometime the PC would come up with a BSOD saying a page fault error. (This BSOD came up both times after running the windows diagnostics test). I've also ran the Memtest86 and that has come up with no errors besides the hammer test noting that is may have issues.

Running Whocrashed brought up these dumps....

On Sun 24/04/2016 2:24:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042416-8437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x7FFA628C5214, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFD00024A51A80)
Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 24/04/2016 2:24:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x7FFA628C5214, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFD00024A51A80)
Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

My system specs are
Intel 6600K
Asus ROG Maximus VIII HERO Intel Z170 S151
Corsair RM750i
Strix 980ti
G.skill Ripjaws DDR4 2133 8Gx2
Samsung 850 PRO 256G SATA SSD
Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB St2000DM001 SATA3 7200rpm
Windows 10 Pro

Any answers would be great! (I'm starting to think my hard drive may be dodgy).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you running bitdefender? It has been known to produce that error - though I am running it myself and have not had a problem.

if so, try taking it off and reinstalling it, or use windows defender for a while and see if error returns.

Might want to upload your dump file to onedrive or any other cloud service and share link here

fithyrehab

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Not using bitdefender, so that rules that one out. I'll up load it now.