Best Monitor for Graphic Design under $500?

Degal

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Solution
I have the 25" version of the Dell you're looking at. Great monitor IMO, the Dell stands are the best as far as stock ones go, you'd have to get a monitor arm to get a better experience. The USB hub on the back is great too, have my M/K plugged into it. One thing to remember with the Dells is their pixel policy only covers 1 color stuck pixel. If the pixel is just dead, stuck black, then you have to have either 3 or five of them to get a warranty. Though at this resolution its really hard to notice.

The ASUS PB27Q seems like a good equivalent to the Dell.

I'd ignore the other two for their garbage stands. Really can't understate how good the stand is on the dell.
I have the 25" version of the Dell you're looking at. Great monitor IMO, the Dell stands are the best as far as stock ones go, you'd have to get a monitor arm to get a better experience. The USB hub on the back is great too, have my M/K plugged into it. One thing to remember with the Dells is their pixel policy only covers 1 color stuck pixel. If the pixel is just dead, stuck black, then you have to have either 3 or five of them to get a warranty. Though at this resolution its really hard to notice.

The ASUS PB27Q seems like a good equivalent to the Dell.

I'd ignore the other two for their garbage stands. Really can't understate how good the stand is on the dell.

Solution

Degal

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah I agree with you about the ASUS MX27AQ has a crap stand, I thought in my head I would just replace it but it actually looks like it doesnt have the standard monitor backing for 3rd party stands :(

The Asus Im concerend with the panel, it says PLS/IPS....how can it be both? arent they different?

Any idea why the Dell is significantly more money? Just newer? I also see some horror stories in the amazon reviews but idk what to actually make of them

Dell seems to charge a premium for their monitors. If you look at their low end ones even they are a bit more than other brands. Say what you will about their computers their monitors are surprisingly good. Looking at the reviews looks like the one big one is the fault of the buyer. A failure to return it in the standard 30 day window. I'm not sure why he didn't return the monitor instantly if it had a problem like that.

In terms of warranty I've never had to call in so I don't know. But I highly doubt Acer or ASUS is going to be better than Dell or even close to it really.

side note there seem to a handful of either dumb or badly merged amazon reviews in there that keep talking about a 4k screen. The dell is a 2560 x 1440 screen.

Degal

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

I was taking a look at some 4k options, just to see what the prices were like. Some were surprisingly in the same price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2?tag=lifehackeramzn-20&ascsubtag=da7d06b6ed8490dc385ebedab689f22c154686fb&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%5Bt%7Cmod-title%5Bp%7C1712678664%5Ba%7CB00IEZGWI2%5Bau%7C5716553178370339807%5Bb%7Clifehacker

Any reason this is so cheap for 28" 4k?