Hello Tom's Hardware

Glasdiz

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I don't know if this is a good place to post a question regarding career education and experience, but here I go. I am coming back to computer science and information technology after a short hiatus from school and the like. I stopped going to school roughly two years ago, granted I only had basic CIS classes under my belt, I was determined and ready to take on whatever classes I need to in order to get a job in the IT business. Now, I am working full time but have the capability to take half a day off or so throughout the week. I am looking at my local community college for courses to take in Information Technology with emphasis on security. I am just curious, what classes would be good to take to make me more hireable when I graduate? I have been working in the auto industry, where I don't use technology as much as I would like, since I quit school. I know to get a good entry level job you need experience, but I am trying to compensate for the lack of experience with desirable education.

I am just in need of opinions and insider thoughts on the field.

Any network administrators who didn't take a class they regret not taking?

Any classes I should avoid taking since the subject matter isn't used much?

Thanks in advance,
Glass

Solution
What a potential employer will be looking for is "can you do the job"? Be a team player, be reliable, be trustworthy, and not a trouble-maker for your supervisor and co-workers? Can you do more than your share when necessary, be willing to learn from your mistakes? Follow instructions?

Experience versus education is always an interesting discussion. I have had successes and failures both ways. There is IT experience and then there is an overall "professional" experience that often reflects a person's abliities and qualities. Life story things. (Veterans often rate high along those lines.)

I have had to go with one or the other in situations where there was no choice - for instance: some contractual requirement for a degree...

Ralston18

Titan
What a potential employer will be looking for is "can you do the job"? Be a team player, be reliable, be trustworthy, and not a trouble-maker for your supervisor and co-workers? Can you do more than your share when necessary, be willing to learn from your mistakes? Follow instructions?

Experience versus education is always an interesting discussion. I have had successes and failures both ways. There is IT experience and then there is an overall "professional" experience that often reflects a person's abliities and qualities. Life story things. (Veterans often rate high along those lines.)

I have had to go with one or the other in situations where there was no choice - for instance: some contractual requirement for a degree. Most of the time deciding to hire really depends on the individual and the job to be done. Trade-offs are made.

I always recommend a good basic skill set. Take technical writing classes, communication classes, basic math and science classes. Speech and leadership classes may not seem relevent for your intended resume. But in the background such skills will serve you very well. Some business, management, and finance classes will help also. Once you get into the IT world you will have all sorts of customers. Understanding them and their requirements is paramount. E.g., You do not need to be a CPA but some grasp of accounting will help when you are supporting an accounting system. Basic management will help you understand organizational dynamics and how people work together (or don't).

More specifically take a look at the IT employment ads in your area. See what skills, abilities, education, and experience are being sought. The details will change but if you start watching now you will notice trends and patterns over time. That information will help with decisions regarding future classes and electives. You need to stay a bit flexible and your interests will change.

You mentioned security. You need to learn and understand security from a variety of viewpoints. I recommend reading "Cybersecurity Leadership" by Mansur Hasib. Very well written, current, and is really a collection of his short papers and presentations. Easy to read. Almost anyone in IT (at all levels) can identify with the situations and experiences he discusses. Overall a very pragmatic read. And he does discuss IT hiring practices and recruiting.....

One other suggestion: do as much hands on IT work as you can via a home setup, helping family and friends, even at work if someone will permit some "internship".

Solution