Multi game FPS drops, need help isolating cause

Kritya

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
System specs:
cpu: i5 4670k (not overclocked)
mobo: Asus H81M-E
ram: 8GB HyperX Beast (unsure of speed, haven't OC'd it)
gpu: Gigabyte GTX 750ti (not overclocked)
psu: corsair CX500M

Now for the suspected parts:
240gb SandDisk SSD PLUS
1TB WD Green HDD
3TB WD Green HDD

The issue I've been having, even on games as light as League of legends, even with the settings turned as low down as possible is that games running off of my 3TB HDD would always have freezes intermittently. There's a few exceptions to this such as Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution which doesn't seem to have any frame drops. (Also neither does Tom Clancy's The Division so it doesn't appear to be a CPU/GPU or power issue).

So at first I thought the hard drive had suffered damage in transit between home and university, so since I've gotten home I took apart my old pc to get it's 1TB HDD (praying it wasn't a WD Green one, which it turned out to be, running as the primary drive (which WD advise against, so wasn't pleased at the company that made that PC)). Installed a game on it's own to the 1TB drive and ran it, same issue.

So it happens on both WD Green drives, I have a friend at university who is letting me test a new WD Blue drive he has spare (he builds pcs for some income) and if it works I can buy it off him, but I was wondering as this appears to be an issue with both Green drives, is this a flaw of the green drives?

Another note, both my PCs had a green drive in as their only drive, and both when the drive was used as the C drive (primary drive) I never noticed these issues, but after running an SSD as my primary drive with the Greens as secondary drives, these issues seem to be consistently popping up.

Things I have tested:
Different Sata ports
Different Sata cables
Multiple WD Green HDDs
Multiple internet connections including a 100/100 down/up connection at university
Putting the game on the SSD, which seems to consistently resolve the issue, but with only 240GB is unfeasible as a solution.

Can anyone help me isolate this issue? Is it just an issue with the Green drives while running as secondary drives or is there another issue with my setup that isn't noticeable with the speed improvement of the SSD? If so, why did it only start occurring once I started using the SSD as the primary drive?

Kritya

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

As I said in the post, moving the games to the SSD resolves the issue but is unfeasible for every game due to size of the SSD.
Ideally I'd buy a 1tb ssd, but student budget doesn't allow for that.

Kritya

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

The 1TB was never transitted, so I'm unsure why that one is also having issue.